How long do you keep them on the potty?

i'm potty training my son and i asked him if he had to go potty and he said yes, so i sat him on the potty for about 15 minutes. he didn't go, i took him off, and 5 minutes later he went in his underwear...so how long should i keep him on the potty for?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:27 PM on Jun. 8, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If my dd says she has 2 potty, I sit her there until she goes the longest time was an hour, I do this 2 teach her that if she's says she has 2 potty then she needs 2 go, and it has helped her 2 determine whether she really has 2 go or not
    Red_Mama0723

Answer by Red_Mama0723 at 12:37 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• He isn't ready if he doesn't know when he has to go. Wait a few months and try again.
    Anonymous

• my boys trained very easily and I never had them sit for a certain length of time. But as I said they were very easy. However there have been a few times Jericho has said he needed to potty, while out and about, but just stod at the tilet when the time came. I found turning the water on so it's running just enough for him to hear it helps him pee.
    Jerichos_Mommy

Answer by Jerichos_Mommy at 1:20 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• my son i sat him on the poty for about 45 minutes, and he went and now he is a pooping and peeing machine...he had to get over that fear of something new and know that it isnt the end of the world....and if you dont mind when he wakes up is his diaper dry....if it is, he is ready, if it isnt wait a while longer
    Mamaof2boys0709

Answer by Mamaof2boys0709 at 1:34 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• At his age, he doesn't yet recognize the sensation of needing to go in advance. He doesn't know until it is time to go NOW! Take him on a timed schedule of every 30-40 minutes. Don't ask him if he needs to go, just take him. Have him sit for a few minutes or until he fusses to get up. Give him a favorite book or something to look at while he sits and he will sit longer. Only give the book or item when he sits on the potty and no other time so it remains something he wants. Don't force him to sit so long that he crys or gets upset. You don't want him to associate potty time with something negative! Reward him when he goes potty with something he really likes.
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 6:04 PM on Jun. 8, 2009