how can i get my 9 month old to start crawling?

sschreiber8911

Asked by sschreiber8911 at 12:29 PM on Jun. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Make sure you give her/him lots of tummy time, and if you have a floor with tile or wooden floors, that even better, because the baby will be able to slide its body around on the floor better. That way they find out how to make their body do things. Other than that, I don't really think you can do anymore. I used to sit behind my daughter, when she was on her stomach, and hold her legs, and when she would stretch her legs out, she would automatically move forward. I guess that can also help them realise that they can move their body.
    LilyandEmmasMom

Answer by LilyandEmmasMom at 1:01 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• My son is 11 months old and still doesn't crawl. I have tried on a daily basis to physically put him up on all fours and he would rock back and forth for a bit but then fall to his belly and roll away from me! He just isn't interested! It's hard to make them stay on their belly for "tummy-time" at this age cause if they can, they will just roll over. Your child may just not be a crawler like my son. He just started pulling himself up from the floor, he can sit himself up from a laying position and he can cruise around things a bit and even takes a few steps between my husband and I. He just loves to stand!
    BethanieJune

Answer by BethanieJune at 1:48 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Some kids never crawl, its not a milestone because of that. Maybe your child will go straight to walking.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 2:05 PM on Jun. 8, 2009