Were your kids suppose to have gone to summer school?

Mine did :(
Only I told the school that I will be working with them at home one on one. I want them to have a good summer they are already bummed out of school for now. I know I should send them but I want them to focus on what is being said or done. I mean only us mommies know our kids better right?
Now I really don't know where to begin...I have an idea but can't get on the ball. They are just having so much fun. Does anyone have some kind of schedule and time to do school work during the summer. thank you so much ladies for listening.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:33 PM on Jun. 8, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Con't.... I have a first grader and a third grader now :)
    Anonymous

• join the Happy Homeschooler's group I am sure they could help you http://www.cafemom.com/group/happyhomeschoolers
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 12:40 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• If the school is suggesting summer school, then you are doing them a huge disservice by keeping them out of it. I realize kids need to have fun, but if they need summer school then they NEED summer school. DO you want them to be behind when school starts? Kids can be cruel and might tease your kids if they are behind. You are saying that you don't think you can get it together, I would call the school and see if they can still get into summer school.
    Anonymous

• I agree --- join some homeschooling groups here on Cafemom. They're very experienced, very non-judgmental, and very helpful.

I have to disagree with anon, too. It seems to me the SCHOOL has done them a huge disservice by allowing them to get so far behind and/or confused in their work to need summer school. Do you think summer school would be any different? It's fine for families with working parents or parents who just feel the school would do a better job, but if YOU think you can help your children better ~ go for it! Time for mom to step in & take a new approach.

G'luck!
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 12:58 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• "Now I really don't know where to begin...I have an idea but can't get on the ball. They are just having so much fun."

_________________

This is what I was talking about. A third of the summer is gone and she is just wasting time. She said so herself. Why is it the school's fault the kids are behind? She should be keeping up and helping them all year so they wouldn't need summer school.
    Anonymous

• I agree with the other anon.

If you don't want to send them why not get some workbooks from Wal-mart or a local store that sells teacher supplies but is open for anyone?

Anonymous

• My oldest is going to summer school this year, and he did last year as well. Of course I want them to have an enjoyable, fun summer, a break from school, time to be kids, etc. But here summer school is not all day every day like regular school is. My son just goes once a week for 2hrs. I want him to get the help that he needs to hopefully be at the level he needs to be when school starts again in the fall.

We also work w/ him at home too, using the Summer Bridge books. I would get those for your kids, they go by grade level. They do a page each day, read for a specific amount of time, plus there are lots of optional activities, and a chart for keeping track. Just make it a part of your routine. For us, we do it in the mornings and then we still have plenty of time for playing outside, going to the park, zoo, swimming, and other summer activities.
    sarahmae3

Answer by sarahmae3 at 1:08 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• My son had the option of attending summer school for Title I kids for reading. He's starting 2nd grade in the fall and barely reads at a kindergarten level. It would have been 5 days a week from 8am-noon. I thought that was just too much for him. He's so burnt out on school already. He cries when he gets home and doesn't want to do his homework because it is just too much. He needs a break so I opted out of summer school.
    Instead he will practice the vocab words the teacher sent home and read at least 15 minutes every day before he can go outside or in the pool. Friday was their last day of school so I told him he could have this week off to just relax and then he starts reading next week.
    I'll be teaching my 6yo to read, too, since she didn't learn in kindy (like my son) because the 1st grade teacher expects them to read.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 5:06 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Laura, how do you know the school has done her kids a disservice?

Some kids need more time and exposure to master skills. That's why we have summer school. Every summer school school program I've ever taught has been engaging, fun, and highly successful. It would be great if mom was stepping in and taking a new approach, but she admits she's not. She wrote this post because she's not helping her kids and wants to know how to start.

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 7:14 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• To the OP, I would start at the public library. If your kids are reading every day that's the #1 thing you can do to help them. Let them pick out books they can read on their own and harder ones for you read with them. Check out story time and any other activities they have available. If you have your kids read to you, to themselves, and listen to you read every day it will a huge help to them in the fall.

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 7:16 PM on Jun. 8, 2009