Did you have any words excluded from your vows & if you could go back would you now?

Common ones to have removed are "Obey" and "til death"...

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 12:36 PM on Jun. 8, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• We had all mention of god and fate removed. We believe in neither. We also omitted the "obey" part...lol
    deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 12:37 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• haha I made sure that I didnt promise to "obey" my husband... lol I couldnt make a promise I knew I couldnt keep... :) We wrote our own tho so I guess that made it easy!
    candlefire22

Answer by candlefire22 at 12:40 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• We were married more than 44 years ago before people wrote their own vows or were allowed to change them. The vows were standard in every church of every denomination. It was considered that those vows were first of all to God Himself and secondly to one another. I personally am very grateful that the vows said precisely what they said. It was and is a reminder that there is someone to whom we answer that is bigger and greater than us. Making those vows which included "until death do us part" has gotten us through some very rough places, triggered mainly my our own selfishness and determination to have our own ways. The vows and the knowledge of what God's Word says about the dangers of breaking vows have been wonderful incentives for us to keep working at our marriage. I am delighted to tell you that we are today more in love than we've ever been. We appreciate each other more. God does bless obedience. I am blessed
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 12:44 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• we're writing our own...but the church gave us a copy of the traditional vows...and we just have to make sure we cover whats in there...that's what HAS to be said...but there is no "obey" in our vows...lol
    carliemarie1015

Answer by carliemarie1015 at 12:44 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• I removed Obey, and the til death part... I am not the obeying type and I believe that marriage should only be as long as everyone is happy that way.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:45 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Most of our guests came in from out of state. The pastor had a wicked sense of humor,and told us legally we could do it all in 30 seconds with just 6 words:
    Do you?
    We do.
    You are.

We seriously considered it, then figured it wasn't worth dying over after everyone drove in, so we did the traditional, less the Obeying.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:48 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• You know the man that did our ceremony didnt use the words obey(which Im glad for) and I think I asked him to not say til death do you part so he didnt. I think he said something like til time ends or the like(his way of saying the same thing I suppose but sounded better LOL).

And yes, if I could have gone back Id not have him officiate at all. He was nice but I just feel we gave in to my moms pressure a bit in having the ceremony done by her clergy person.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 12:53 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• my uncle married my DH & i. you should see the crap he wanted to say!! he is very sexist (which i never picked up on before) and wanted to tell the full story of Adam & Eve. i told him that the companionship part was fine, but what does Eve eating the fruit have to do w/ my marriage? he also had a ton of quotes from the Bible of what a good wife should be, but nothing about a good husband. i told him this wedding was about US, not wives.

he didnt want to take it out, but my dad told him he had to, b/c it was our wedding not his. there was no line about obeying either. instead we said "w/ my body i honor you".
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 1:18 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• I think ours said "as long as you both shall live" and I did not vow to obey
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 1:22 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• We replaced obey with cherish. 

beeky

Answer by beeky at 1:34 PM on Jun. 8, 2009