How do you get your child to brush their teeth?

I am having a very hard time getting my DD to brush her teeth. She fights me. I brush them, but I just wish it wasn't such a fight. Any ideas would be wonderful. She is almost 3 and I thought that by now she wouldn't mind it so much. Thanks!!!

DAH02

Asked by DAH02 at 1:11 PM on Jun. 8, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• have you tried giving her the tooth brush? of course she wont do it properly at first, and you'll have to finish for her, toddlers like to try things on their own so they feel 'big'. what kind of toothpaste do you use for her? she needs a fun, flavored toothpaste made just for kids.
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 1:17 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Also, brush with her. That is they only way I can get my son to even try. He gets so happy when he doesn't have "stinky teeth" anymore.
    dawpea

Answer by dawpea at 1:18 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• I let her brush first usually. Sometimes I just hold her and let her scream while I brush but only if I'm really tired. She loves brushing her own teeth.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 1:31 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• my son loves it when i brush his teeth...and then when i am done i let him finsh brushing while i am brushing mine, but every kid is different
    Mamaof2boys0709

Answer by Mamaof2boys0709 at 1:32 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• I had tried all of these suggestions and more what finally wrked was asking my number obccessed toddler if I could count his teeth. At first I could barely get ten strokes in now I get almost a full 2 minutes of brushing. He is 35 months and we started this about 1 1/2 months ago. I wish I'd thought of it sooner.
    Jerichos_Mommy

Answer by Jerichos_Mommy at 1:49 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• We gave ours the tooth brush around age 3 because of her do-it-myself attitude and we brushed with her.

Then we'd try 2 things:
    1) "OK. Now do it like this." And we'd open our mouth and show her how to brush the different areas. And we'd show her how to brush her tongue too (bacteria is sitting there too).
    2)"OK. Let mommy take a crack at it really fast." And she'd let me have the brush and I'd go in quickly into the back teeth.
    lynnard

Answer by lynnard at 1:51 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• I usually let Kailtyn do it herself first. We struggled a little at the beginning too, but when she was all for it when I told her we needed to get the "sugar bugs out". Now she does it and then I check to make sure she got all the bugs, and then I brush a little more - mostly her back teeth. We haven't had a problem since. We also use the Disney Princess tooth paste because that is the one she picked out.
    lovebugs_mom

Answer by lovebugs_mom at 2:47 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• my son oves to be at the sink so he gets his little stool and stands up at the sink with me and i brush my teeth and he "brushes" his own teeth its kinda cute then i say okay mamas turn and he lets me brush his teeth for a min or two after he does it . he wont let me brush them at all if he dosent get to do it first.
    jajamama

Answer by jajamama at 3:40 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• I started brushing my dd's teeth when she was a year old by 18 months she wanted 2 try and do it herself, so I gave her the brush and let her do it and of course starting out a child won't do a great job, they'll just suck the toothpaste from the brush and think there doing great, by 2yrs old she was doing great on her own she was even getting her back teeth pretty good, now she's 2 and a half and she gets her stool climbs up gets her brush puts the toothepaste on and brushes by herself then I'll do a check brush over and then she'll go and spit in the sink.
    So my advice let her do it by herself she will do a great job with pratice and time, gl
    Red_Mama0723

Answer by Red_Mama0723 at 3:45 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• We take turns. First I brush their teeth while I sing the ABC song. When I'm finished, it is their turn to brush and we sing it again. :o)

We've been doing this routine for just over a year now and the girls aren't stepping up their independence. They seem content with the routine rather than letting me know that they can do it themselves now. So I am considering buying them those electric toothbrushes. Have you tried those yet?
    rebabeach2

Answer by rebabeach2 at 4:53 PM on Jun. 8, 2009