Exactly what skills does the employers are seeking?

I have a BS degree and have a little to no experience in accounting. I took little training in peachtree and have a basic understanding of concepts of Accounting. I have had 3 paid internships during the summer of '05, '06, and '07. None of those interhsips gave me the challenges but instead they have had me doing clerical works around the offices. I've tried my hardest to find certificate programs such as MS office and Outlook and Quickbook. I've sent out many resumes over years and none of them would send email or call me. I just wanted to brush up my skills. I've been a SAHM for almost 3 years and I would love to go back to work, just part time to bring extra cash in my pocket. PLEASE HELP!

DeZsMaMa

Asked by DeZsMaMa at 1:11 PM on Jun. 8, 2009 in Money & Work

• Do you have a former employer you could work for remotely? If you have a computer with high speed internet & Microsoft Office Pro & have at least intermediate MS Office skills, you should be able to find work as a virtual assistant (VA). There is a company located outside of Chicago that matches up VAs & clients called VSI; the url is www.avirtualstaff.com. The owner is Tracey Wallace.
    Do you have a skill or experience that you can turn into a home based business? I have a friend who makes children's hair accessories in her basement & sells them to boutiques around the Midwest. I work out of my home with two lines of business; I do freelance bookkeeping & business organization; I also do career & job search coaching. I am always happy to help cafemoms with resumes, cover letters, job search strategy & interview preparation. Feel free to contact me directly -Robin

Answer by rkoloms at 9:48 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Have you thought of starting your own bookkeeping business? Working with small businesses to enter everything into peachtree/quicken/any program so they do not have to hire a CPA and can have you come in once a month and take care of keeping their P&Ls in order?

If you are looking to work for someone else to work for I would figure out what value you are going to bring to their business and not focus on getting the job or being desperate about a job. Find out what companies are looking for and make yourself knowledgable right away!

I would also say it is great to send in a resume however I would not take that serious until you called & walked into my office to let me know how serious you are. Resumes in the mail are a dime a dozen! People who actually follow through & show up are fewer & far between! We require hand turned in applications before we even consider someone.

Good luck & keep looking for what you want!
    LegacyKimberley

Answer by LegacyKimberley at 4:05 AM on Jun. 12, 2009