When the section 8 waiting list is closed, how long is it usually closed for?

I live in an unfinished basement garage with my two kids and husband, newborn and 2. It's unsafe (I think because of bugs and wires and concrete floors and leaks... etc.) and not a good place for anyone let alone kids.. But it's either that or the street. We make extremely low income and have no criminal history. I was going to apply for section 8 so we could finally be in a normal envirnment for our kids, but the list is closed. How long is the list usually closed for? I live in the Montgomery TN area. Thank you for all your help.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:15 PM on Jun. 8, 2009 in Money & Work

• The waiting list for Section 8 here in SE Minnesota has been closed for the past 5 years at least, and they are not planning on opening it back up anytime soon. I know that there is Section 8 housing that is more readily available, but you will need to check with your local welfare office, they should be able to help you find something.
    RCrohn

Answer by RCrohn at 1:20 PM on Jun. 8, 2009