Speaking in tongues

I have been attending a Pentecostal/Apostolic church. I was taught that during baptism I would be filled with the Holy Ghost which (in this church) means that I would speak in tongues. In order to really have the Holy Ghost and go to Heaven, I am taught that this needs to happen. I am taught that God will give the gift of tongues to everyone, and that I just need to be patient. Well, it has been a year since my baptism, and nothing happens. I pray at the church and people crowd around me, touching me and speaking in tongues. They yell at me, "Just let go of the English," but I can't. Sometimes during the service the Pastor will tell the members who haven't gotten the Holy Ghost to stand up so others can touch them and pray for them, it's getting embarrassing. I feel like it will never happen. Why can everyone else speak in tongues and translate, but I can't?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:17 PM on Jun. 8, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• some of them may be faking it.
    Anonymous

• I am Southern Baptist and I dont understand the whole speaking in tounges thing. I believe its possible b/c I believe God can do anything he wants. But why exactly would he want to?

In my opinion as a S.B.....lol I believe that you dont need anything but a belief and trust in Jesus to be saved. Period. Anything else is icing on the cake.

Tell your fellow church goers, that you feel God has other plans and talents for you in store. You just havent had them revealed yet and you are praying about it.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 1:21 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• That is so funny not funny like ha ha ha at you but funny for me bc that happened to me too. And those that are able to speak in tongues tell me the same thing they make it sound like it will just appear to you but I also thnk you have to relax and concentrate I never got it, but did try and like you I felt embarassed. I just gave up. I just said to God you know my heart and you know I believe in you and love you and i just go with that. I pray often and thank him for everything. to me I feel just as long as you aknowledge him everything will be alright. All that speaking in tongues I never understood it if it was real of fake...I don't even understand why we have to change our language if we worship the same God....hmmm!
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 1:25 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• This sounds awful. I think I would seek out another denomination. A nondenominational church might be a better fit- anything is game and there is no pressure.
    dawpea

Answer by dawpea at 1:25 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• I do believe in the gift of tounges, but I believe that it is only done in certain circumstances. What you are describing to me doesn't make any sense. What language are you supposed to be speaking? Let go of the English and speak what???

My understanding of speaking in tounges is being able to speak and/or understand a language that you really have no fluency in.

For example if you were trying to teach a french person about God but didn't know french. Then perhaps the Holy Spirit would give you the gift of tounges to be able to do so. - That is a lame example, but it's the best one I can think of on the amt of sleep I got last night ! LOL!

Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 1:27 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• I agree and disagree with your church. You will be filled with the holy spirit from the moment you commit your life to God. Baptism is like the outward sign to everyone of your commitment. Being filled with the holy spirit does not necessarily mean that you will speak in tongues, but if gives you the possibility. Pray for the gift if you want it... it really is a wonderful gift and then practice it in alone. read the bible about what it means to be given that gift. If you have that gift it can be used in private or if its in public make sure your being led (there should be an interpreter of what you are saying). So,pray that God will reveal your spiritual gifts and lead you where He intend for you to be/do. but do not think for one minute that you have to speak in tongues to have a relationship with Christ and be saved. Its not true.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 1:28 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Nika75: I don't really know what language they want me to speak. I listen closely as the other members speak in tongues and they all sound like they're speaking the same language. I am in no way trying to be offensive, but it kind-of sounds like when you hear Arab people talking. It's like, "A-la-la-shama-la-la" kwim?

Anonymous

• I am a Pentecostal. Not every person gets the same gifts. Yes, you can pray and ask God for a certain gift of the Spirit, but not every member of the body HAS the same gift. For example, each Christian is a different part of the body. Every member can't be the eyes (visions), not everyone can be the mouth (ministering, prophesying), the feet (missionaries), the hands (healing, intercessory prayer), etc. There are MANY MANY gifts of the Spirit, and some people can have all of them, some can have one, some can have a couple. Just pray the you receive the gift that GOD wants you to have.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 1:47 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Nika7...
    I do believe in the gift of tounges, but I believe that it is only done in certain circumstances. What you are describing to me doesn't make any sense. What language are you supposed to be speaking? Let go of the English and speak what???

Heavenly Language ..

Ok lets first read what the bible says. first of all there are two kinds of things.. one is the GIFT of tongues and the other is our daily language of tongues that we speak when we pray. Some people have the gift of speaking another language they do not know.
    Remember pentacost? the unbelievers heard them speak in their own language and they didnt speak that language. The other is our prayer language. I didnt get mine right away. I received the indwelling and did not speak in tongues for 6 months and I was just laying in bed praying in english then the next thing I knew I was speaking in tongues :-) I was alone when it happened. Continued...
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 1:48 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Now I do it without thinking.
    It will happen in time. People get confused with the gift and the prayer language.. not all have the gift but all have the prayer language.
    I also want you to know you do not have to speak in a prayer language to get to heaven. That is NOT one of the criteria. :-)
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 1:50 PM on Jun. 8, 2009