What baby items can be checked in with luggage when flying?

I am planning to fly with my son, alone, in approx. 2 months. He will then be 13 months old. I know about all the liquids regulations for carry on. My question is what can I check in with my luggage (not plane side)? I have a portable eating chair and a small arm's reach co-sleeper play pen I am considering bringing in addition to a convertible car seat and our one luggage item I already planned for. Have asked my parents to look for a play pen for him but wanted to know anyways if these two items can be checked with luggage or not? Will I incur extra fees with these additional baby items? I have searched the TSA website and so far, no answers found. Some informed answers would be very helpful!

BethanieJune

Asked by BethanieJune at 1:21 PM on Jun. 8, 2009 in Travel

• Check the website of the airline you are flying with. They usually all have different regulations.
    spbeta

Answer by spbeta at 2:36 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• I would pack your car seat very carefully. Get a hard cased suitcase if you can. My husband's aunt and uncle started having to do that because every time they flew with his cousin and left it out of a suitcase, they would have to buy a new car seat due to it getting damaged. If your car seat has an extra base (I'm only just now pregnant so other than infant seats, I know nothing about car seats) I would ship the extra base to your mom's house about two weeks ahead of time. As far as the other big stuff is concerned, I would have your mom see if anyone could loan her those items rather than dragging them all the way with you or again ship anything you can a couple of weeks ahead of time. Like the portable high chair, if it's small enough.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 3:50 PM on Jun. 8, 2009