Is there a cheaper way to store breastmilk than purchasing breast milk storage bags?

I'm exclusively pumping for twins and its actually getting kind of pricey with the quantity of storage bags I'm having to purchase to store their milk in the freezer. I'm wondering if there are some alternative ways to freeze their milk.

proud2Bmomma

Asked by proud2Bmomma at 1:23 PM on Jun. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• ice cube trays
    Anonymous

• ice cube tray will cause freezer burn DONT USE THOSE you can use regular ziploc bags just make sure they are heavy duty if it gets freezer burn it will taste yuck and can cause them gas
    melis1029

Answer by melis1029 at 1:26 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• milk cannot be exposed to the air. no ice trays. But there is a tray it seems... take a look at this article:

http://hubpages.com/hub/Breastmilk_Storage_Containers-Find_and_Compare_the_Best_Breast_Milk_Storage_Containers

Good luck!
    lynnard

Answer by lynnard at 2:02 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• You can use the ice cube trays, but as soon as they are frozen you put the cubes into a freezer ziplock bag.
    Also, try and pump it into bottles and use it fresh as much as possible. Your milk has the highest level of antibodies when your baby takes it directly from your breast, and is second-best when it is freshly pumped. The longer it is stored, the more of these antibodies are deactivated. Freezing destroys even more antibodies. (Your frozen milk still provides excellent nutrition and protection for your baby, just not as good as directly from the breast or freshly pumped.)
    You can pump and use fresh for all but one feeding, and then for that feeding take the oldest from the freezer and put in some new. That way you use mostly fresh and still "rotate stock". Freshly pumped milk can stay at room temp for 4-8 hours. No need to thaw and heat!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 2:53 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• I always put it in a regular freezer bag.
    LoniRae89

Answer by LoniRae89 at 3:42 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• I used heavy duty regular freezer bags. I also tried to use as much of the milk fresh from a bottle. i actually froze in trays once in a while too then immediately transferred to vacuum sealed bags. With the ice cubes DH could just throw on in a bottle real quick if she only needed an extra ounce or two and not a whole bottle. The breastmilk bags are nice for daycare and what not since they like to have amounts and stuff on them, but other then that I wrote the amount off the bottle on the ziploc along with date and time pumped.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 6:13 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• I would buy that ziploc vacuum sealer thing. It's about $10 I think, then you can just freeze the milk into ice cubes, put them in freezer bags, suck out the air, and freeze them. I think that would be WAY cheaper than breast milk bags. I know a previous person said that you can't put it in ice cube trays, but I never heard that when I was pumping for my son.
    corbysmom531

Answer by corbysmom531 at 11:00 PM on Jun. 8, 2009