does giving a baby rice cereal cause tummy trouble?

i started giving my 4 months old breastfed baby one small meal of rice cereal a day like 3 days ago and yesterday she had two huge blow outs for my husband and has been cranky lately and kinda gassy last night she didnt go to sleep until almost 2 could it be the cereal? she seems to like eating it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:25 PM on Jun. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It could be because doctors don't recommend starting foods until at least 6 months and loger if possible for that very reason. And breast fed babies can wait a whole year.
    Anonymous

• i started my son on rice cereal at 4 months on doctors request but it made him have stomach troubles and be very constipated so we switched to oatmeal cereal and that worked perfectly...
    KDW10_7_08

Answer by KDW10_7_08 at 1:49 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• no they cant wait a year for bf babies its as late as 9 months but still as early as 4
    melis1029

Answer by melis1029 at 2:03 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• They can wait a year. Solids before a year are for practice only. They should be getting all their nutrition from Breast milk. The AAP and WHO..recommend waiting till at least 6 months and only then because some mom's want to jump the gun.
    Anonymous

• It depends on the baby. I'd stop the cereal for a couple of weeks and try again. You can also try a different single grain cereal. Just be sure to let her system calm down for a few days before trying something new.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 2:27 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Yes, it can be the cereal. There are lots of people who start at 4 months, and their babies are "fine", but that doesn't mean it's okay for every baby.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 2:47 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• It could very well be the cereal. Most babies tummies are not really ready until closer to 6 months. From http://kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/delay-solids.html
    "If solids are started before a baby's system is ready to handle them, they are poorly digested and may cause unpleasant reactions (digestive upset, gas, constipation, etc.). Protein digestion is incomplete in infancy. Gastric acid and pepsin are secreted at birth and increase toward adult values over the following 3 to 4 months. The pancreatic enzyme amylase does not reach adequate levels for digestion of starches until around 6 months, and carbohydrate enzymes such as maltase, isomaltase, and sucrase do not reach adult levels until around 7 months. Young infants also have low levels of lipase and bile salts, so fat digestion does not reach adult levels until 6-9 months. "
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 2:48 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• The only problems that cereal has ever given my babies is constipation. I started giving a little cereal in the bottle before bedtime at 3mths. They never seemed to have a problem with it. I have never heard of it causes blow outs. When my babies had watery BM's the doctor always changed their formula. Sometimes he changed it to lactose free. I hope your baby gets better cuz I know how much they love that cereal!
    B_L_LSMOMMY

Answer by B_L_LSMOMMY at 4:02 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Oh and I know of plenty of Doctors that say that it is perfectly fine to start cereal at 4mths. Sometimes you have to supplement with it. Everyone has there own ways and opinions but that doesn't mean that anyone is more right than the other or that the other is wrong. Good luck again!
    B_L_LSMOMMY

Answer by B_L_LSMOMMY at 4:07 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• If the cereal is the new element it's most likely the culprit.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:40 PM on Jun. 8, 2009