Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is this enough information to have her summoned to court with?

My fiance has been trying to find his ex for nearly two years now so that she can be properly served with the divorce papers that he has had since she left him less than a month into their marriage. We know what her name is of course and, thanks to MySpace, what city and state she lives in. Would this be enough for a summons? How would we find her full address if not?


Asked by Anonymous at 1:28 PM on Jun. 8, 2009 in Relationships

This question is closed.
Answers (6)
  • He needs to check with the court, b/c I know when I filed for divorce, if I was unable to find him, I was told I could just put an ad in the paper for like 3 weeks announcing that I was filing for divorce. I don't remember exactly what the wording had to be, or that, but I think they called it constructive service. Then, after that, they set a hearing date and if he didn't show, they would have given me everything I asked for in the paperwork. I'd have him ask about that, b/c after 2 yrs, he shouldn't have to keep trying to find her.

    Answer by tropicalmama at 1:51 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

  • I would think that would be enough & the courts should be able 2 find her from there.

    Answer by bridgeh2o at 1:38 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

  • When I had my XH served I had no idea where to find him, so I had his parents served, they signed for him promising to delivery the papers otherwise taking responsibility....this was for a TRO, I assume they could do the same with divorce papers?

    Answer by gramsmom at 1:38 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

  • I don't see why not. Has he filed as abandonment? Maybe it will go through because he can't find her.


    Answer by Anonymous at 1:39 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

  • My husband did the ad in the paper as tropicalmama discussed when it came to filing abandonment for his from his ex wife. She showed up at the court hearing, but we hadn't seen or heard from her in almost a year. I agree that after two years, he should be able to get a default divorce since it has been so long without contact.

    Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 2:03 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

  • try but he doesn't need to serve her. like the above poster said you only need an ad in the paper. His lawyer should have told him that.

    Answer by admckenzie at 2:06 PM on Jun. 8, 2009