Do you restrict what your kids watch or listen to?

Like inappropriate music or stuff on tv? Or do you view it as sheltering them and they'll eventually see the stuff anyway?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:29 PM on Jun. 8, 2009 in General Parenting

• I DO NOT restrict. I choose to watch it with him and we discuss and learn from it. The only thing I ever restricted....hard core porn, The movie IT until he was a little older, the movie The Shining until he was a little older...I mean like 10 instead of 2 or 3. He still can't watch hard core porn, but, some horror movies have soft core and he automatically turns his head and asks when it's over. His choice. I restricted IT becuse I wasn't sure how to explain away a scary clown and with The Shining, I wasn't sure how to explain away mental illness. Because #1, all clowns aren't bad, #2 all people with a mental illness won't try to kill you. Other than that, he has been allowed to watch whatever he wanted from birth.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:35 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• I have a two year old. He watches Nick Jr. Disney Channel (only the kids programs, not the pre-teen stuff) and some public broadcasting shows.
    He also has age-appropriate learning DVD's.

He loves to watch some game shows, too. I'm more concerned with commercials on this channel. You never know what will be on them. LOL

timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 1:36 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• i do to a point..music all we listen to is country, so i have nothin to worry about there..as for tv..well..she sometimes watches some of my shows with me..but usually she leaves the room..but one time i was watching criminal minds, and one guy was getting shot, and she was full on watching, i had to change the chanell cuz i didnt need her watching that..and the other day we were watching the tyra show, and it was aout 'barsexuals' or somethin lke that and it showed 2 girls kissing..she asked me about that, so i changed the chanell again..lol..but for the most part i let her watch that kinda stuff..its a good conversation started sometimes..my parents never had the sex talk with me..i learned from watching 90210..lol
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 1:38 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• my daughter is 3, i don't really think i restrict what she watches more make sure it is age appropriate. she has seen horror movies, and heard rap music etc...the music i don't let her listen to is usually something that is derogatory towards women or towards any one group of people. i don't feel the need to explain to her some peoples biases yet. movie wise, just stuff that is too sexual or too full of curse words. i don't say them around her so she knows they are bad, but i still don't feel that she should be hearing them anywhere. as she gets older i may change my mind i may not, but i doubt i will i'll probably do the same thing i do now, and thats pretty much watch whatever unless i find it totally inappropriate or too scary for her.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 1:40 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• My 13 year is allowed to watch and listen to what he wants as long as it's not porn or something. My 6 year old really only watches cartoon movies. Shes not allowed to see or listen to anything having to do with sex or too many curse words.
    HoneyPot78

Answer by HoneyPot78 at 1:48 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Of course I do - just as I censor what I watch.

Yes, I can "discuss" age-inappropriate age things with her but how much will she understand of what I explain? How many nightmares will whatever it is cause? She's only 2 now. Should I let her watch any Disney movie she wants just because it's G-rated? How about Monster's Inc? Personally, I love that movie. But how terrified will she be during the movie and at bedtime for months to come?

As she gets older, she'll be allowed to watch and listen to more but my job is to teach and guide her - not throw her in the deep end and talk her through learning to swim through the muck on her own. By the time she is 14 or 15, she should be capable of self-limiting what she listens to or views (just like I do) but even then, I will have veto power if she shows poor judgement.

I am NOT her friend. I am her mother and guide.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 2:04 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Somewhat... my kids are still very young - under 5 - so they really have no interest in anything other than Noggin. But there have been times that certain songs have played on the radio and I've changed it or something crazy was on TV and I changed the channel. I'm not trying to "shelter" them, I just don't think they're old enough for me to explain some things to.
    Silvertears1275

Answer by Silvertears1275 at 2:43 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Not really. My kids watch whatever they want. They usually stick to stuff on Disney and Nick but they watch all sorts of other stuff, too.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 4:59 PM on Jun. 8, 2009