Epidural or Natural? Anyone done both? I would love to here your experiances!

Anyone done both as in had one natural delivery and one epi delivery?

What was your experience? If you do it again...what will you choose?

I'm not sure what I want yet.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:42 PM on Jun. 8, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I had an epidural with my first, no pain meds with my 2nd. During my first child's birth, they shut the epidural off about 30 minutes before it was time to push so I could feel it. The trouble came after - I wasn't able to walk for 12 hours because my right leg continued to be numb. Being stuck in bed, while my newborn was in the nursery for breathing issues that came up during feeding was what scared me into trying to go without pain meds with my 2nd child.

When I was pregnant with #2, I read books on why I should avoid drugs, what I could do to ease the pains of labor, and how to handle things. When I was induced at 34 weeks because of pre-e, it made me more determined to not give him something that could effect his breathing. He wound up w/ issues despite it, but it wasn't through anything I did directly.

I would choose natural if I were to have another child. Its truly a personal decision, do what's best for you.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 1:46 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Thank you for being honest and sharing your experience with me. To be honest I'm leaning toward going natural but everyone keeps giving me these horror stories about it so I'm kind of keeping my options open.

A friend suggested Hypnobabies to me to use self hypnosis for pain relief?

I'm thinking about checking into that but like I said I'm keeping my options open.
    Anonymous

• I focused on reading books on the Bradley method. My dh was not on board with going withou pain medsl, but afterwards he agreed I was right to be so adamant on refusing an epidural a second time around.

Good luck! There are horror stories surrounding birth regardless of what you decide you would like to do.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 1:52 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• I've had two epidural births and one completely natural birth at home. Hands down the natural home birth was the most awesome and practically painless though very intense experience.

my first epi was given after an induction...I tried to go without the pain meds but finally gave up. Luckily 15 minutes after the epi the baby came out...I dilated from 6 to 10 in those 15 minutes. The epi hadn't even completely kicked in. I was tricked into an induction this first time.

My second epi was given before the induction. The induction didn't work out and the epi was only on one side of my body leaving one side completely numb and the other side could feel everything. I selfishly wanted one this time 4 days before her due date.

If I knew then what I know now I would never have gotten induced and the epi would have never happened.

Hands down natural was the most awesome and rewarding. I suggest hypnobirthing.
    SandraRh

Answer by SandraRh at 1:52 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• I had both my boys natural and plan to deliver our 3rd son natural as well but it's been almost 9 years and I am freaking out because I don't know if I will be able to take the pain. I've heard epidurals are wonderful, however I am terrified of the needle so I rather go through the pain and maybe have some pain reliever without the epidural. I know I won't change my mind about not having an epidural. My first delivery was over 21 hours, my youngest I delivered in 19 hours, hoping this one will be faster! Good luck and congrats
    LuvmyFam6

Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 1:53 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• My first happened so fast I had to go with just IV meds. I was scared but he deadened the area of my episiotomy and labor wasn't bad. My second was facing up instead of down. The pain in my back was unbearable. I am a tough girl so both my hubby and doctor was shocked by how much pain I was in. I had an epidural with that one and the pain was instantly gone but I had a hard time pushing because I could feel nothing and it didn't help he wasn't facing the right way. My muscles were sore all over my body but the I honestly don't think I could have even pushed with the pain I was in. I personally did not plan on having an epidural....I think with the next I will just play it by ear and see what the pain is before I decide. Good luck!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 1:53 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• I had an unplanned c-sect with the first, and had a 100% natural unmedicated birth with the 2nd. If I were to give birth again I would want ti to be natural, with no epi or other meds. I just don't think it is worth the risk.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 2:46 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• I'll be honest here!! :)

With my first born, I was in labor 18 hours....got an epidural an hour before I gave birth. It was wonderful!! It wasnt even painful to push her out, just alot of pressure.

With my second ( a year later) I was in labor a total of 45 minutes. Once I got to the hospital it was too late for and epidural... I was fully dialated. Not to scare you because every woman is different, but it was the worst pain in my life! I can put into words how much pain I was in. Once my son came out, I was great :)

Im pregnant now with #3 and will definately get an epidural this time god willing :)

Good luck and make the best decision that you feel is best for you and baby :)
    Bella05

Answer by Bella05 at 12:29 AM on Jun. 9, 2009