potty training boys

i've got the feeling that DS really isn't ready to train. he's 2 in july, He's peed in the potty a few times, woke up dry once and peed in the potty after getting up. Of course he's not telling when he needs to go, in the tub last night he went pee and didnt even seem phased about it at all.

So for training boys, whats the dead giveaway that they're ready? is there one? did you train sitting or standing? what age? basically if you could tell me all the hows and whens that'd be great :)

m4m4

Asked by m4m4 at 1:50 PM on Jun. 8, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I started when mine was 2.5. He showed all the signs. He did not ever tell me he needed to go until way later. I started out with him sitting..it's just easier. I got him big boy undies and got rid of the diapers. We spent a week at home and I took him every thirty minutes and sat him on it and asked him to try to go. Before the week was up, he had day training down. Before the month, he was night trained. And, before he was 3, he would tell me or could run and pull his pants down and go himself.
    The signs:
    Can stay dry through naptime. (Some satrt when they can stay dry two hours. I chose naptime)
    Can indicated the need to go verbally. (they won't say, but, being able to talk helps ALOT)
    Is able to pull pants on and off. (they won't do this either for awhile, but, again..it helps to make sure they are without a doubt ready)
    Shows interest in learning.(Not being scared of it is a helpful sign)

I hope this helps.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:02 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• He is SO YOUNG still don't stress yourself out! My son goes to Montessori school and they believe in training young but just relax about it. You will for sure know when he is ready. I started when Keith was like 2 1/2 because he will start school in September 09 and he does everything but still has problems with pooping on the toliet. I just quit using diapers all together and went straight to undies. I limit his fluid intake after six so he doesnt wet the bed. But I was prepared always with tons of clothes and extra laundry to wash. Because he has wet himself a lot. I just dont punish him ever and keep on working. I have had to do a reward system finally cause the poop think was just not working out. So he has this special bag of little toys that he gets if he decides to use the potty for poopy that day. Otherwise I dont push him and I just clean up the messes. So have lots of patience! Good Luck!
    KGCMOM2006

Answer by KGCMOM2006 at 2:04 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• My son started showing signs at 18 months, we kinda started to try and train him but I had a newborn and couldn't keep on him so I gave up. I just finally got him potty trained over the memorial day weekend because I had four days off and I wanted to do most of the work and not burden my daycare provider too much. He will be 3 in September. I went straight to undies and told him he had to use the potty. I had him sit to pee because he is tiny and couldn't get the hang of standing. I needed every bit of those four days, but by the time he went back to daycare on Tuesday he was doing pretty good and had no accidents that first day, and only a few since. Make sure you are ready to committ before you start, (my son only went in the potty once the first two days he had a ton of accidents that I had to clean up) and don't switch back and forth between diapers and undies.
    Ashley53

Answer by Ashley53 at 6:40 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• thanks ladies, i agree that he may be too young. he does cheer for us when we go potty...but again, he seemed completely oblivious that he was peeing in the tub.
    m4m4

Answer by m4m4 at 3:33 PM on Jun. 9, 2009