What type of birth did you have the first time? What was it like? What would/will you do differently next time?

I love hearing other moms birth stories! NO JUDGEMENT TO HOW ANYONE CHOOSE TO GIVE BIRTH!!

My first birth I was induced. I had a really awful experience. I was stuck in bed the WHOLE time on my back with back labor. They did things like break my water without asking me first. I ended up with an epidural I didn't want to begin with and regretted after getting it. Then it ended with my bleeding excessively and needing multiple blood transfusions.

If I could change anything about my 1st birth I would not be induced.

This time we are planning as natural as possible birth using Hypnobabies techniques that we practice daily. We are hoping to stay at home for as long as possible and allow things to unfold naturally. The one intervention we are having is a hep lock as a safety precaution because of my bleeding last time but other than that I want things to be as natural as possible.

How about you?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:58 PM on Jun. 8, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Induced vaginal. To change anything, I would NOT let them induce me unless I was at 42 weeks.
    Anonymous

• My first birth was with an OB in a hospital. I wanted a natural birth., I was not induced or given any pain meds, but I was on the fetal moniter with limited my movement, the dr broek my water, I could not labor on my hands and knees because my doc wouldn't let me, I labored on my back, was coached during pushes (I complelety regretted listening to them) , gave me an episiotomy, they used a vaccuum to take my baby out, he was not breathing, my doc manually removed my placenta, they gave me pit. I passed about 4 or 5 large blood clots, went into shock, my uterus was inverted... they fixed it gave me a blood transfusion.I could not see my son tunil 16 hours after he was born :( My son was very jaundice and we had to stay in the hospital for 4 or 5 days.

My second birth was at home. My labor was short, my midwife barely it in time lol. I birthed how I wanted, breathed my baby out. No sticthes,daddy caught him! perfect!
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 2:06 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• I was 19 and I had a natural, vaginal birth. NO DRUGS! So, even if you are young, it can be done.
    I was 2 days over my due date and had an appointment for that afternoon at 2:30. I was getting ready and at 12:00 my back felt weird, so, I sat down. A little bit later, I got back up to finish putting my hair in a ponytail and it felt weird again. It kept coming and going for a bit..then it was getting a little worse. I called my mom to tell her to go ahead and come on because I thought I was having contractions....the hospital was 1.5 hours away. We drove there and I knew I was in labor for real before we made it. I went in and he confirmed and sent me over to the other side. I got put into the stupid bed on an IV (this is the part I would change...I would be walking and no IV) Anyway...later they checked me and decided to break my water and give me pitocin(Wouldn't let either of those happen again either) . Sometime later...
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:10 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• my first i was induced b/c of my blood pressure. contractions from fri morning til sunday night when they said ok its time to do a c-section since you aren't progressing. so i had a c-section (knew from the time i found out i was preg i'd end up having to have one just a feeling) hated the induction, no solids, no moving around, had to use a bed pan all for nothing just to have to have a c-section anyways. was in the hospital a total of 6 days, could barely walk or move around for 2 weeks afterwards.
    with my second i had a scheduled c-section, went in at 6 a.m. waited for another c-sec to finish then went back around 10:30, had my little man shortly after. only problem with that one was the surgeon was a bi*** she talked to the nurse while sewing me up (she was a student and the real surgeon left after the baby was out, left her to sew me up) saying she didn't get why anyone would chose to have a surgical birth blah blah CONT
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 2:11 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• they checked me and said the head was right there...the doctor slid in...I pushed 2.5 times and he was born at 7:01pm. Seven hours labor and barely pushed. Imagine if I would have walked around? I could have had him even faster.

Next time, if there ever is one, I want a midwife and home birth.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:12 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• CONT well she wasn't my regular doctor and didn't see my regular records so was unaware of my issues (i had 3 cervical surgeries before my first c-section they said the scar tissue from that and an intestinal surgery was preventing me from dilating and that i probably wouldn't be able to at all so i chose the c-section). my husband was deployed this time so he wasn't with me to yell at the stupid woman, she thought i was asleep. the other docs and nurses told her to shut it but she still kept going. in recovery i got sick and was extremely itchy for about 8 hours after the surgery. the upset stomach went away after about 3 hours. i have to say i'll have another c-section next time, this time around i was up walking that day and haven't had any issues with getting around since then, haven't even had to take pain meds for more than about 4 days. so next time it'll be another one.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 2:14 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• natural. no meds. No TIME! when i got to the ER, i was only 2 cm with pressure pains in my vagina. they told me to walk around for two hours and drink a big cup of water. after a hour nd a half, my water broke. they checked again and i was 4 cm. 45 mins later i was fully. i pushed a couple times nd she was out. at 1:13 am. i got to the ER at 9. i would say i was only in labor for about an hour.
    Anonymous_J

Answer by Anonymous_J at 2:28 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• I had a c-section with my first due to placenta rupture. I was 3 weeks late which is what caused the placenta to detach. It went really well. I could hardly see my scar and i am 11 weeks pregnant now and plan on doing it again.
    Proudparent707

Answer by Proudparent707 at 2:34 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• I ended up with an unplanned emergency c-sect. after 18 hours of labor with my first. I changed Drs and hospitals with my second so that I could try for a VBAC. I had 3 hours of labor and had a 100% natural unmedicated delivery with the 2nd, and it was awesome!
    I have heard really good things about the hypno-birth techniques. I was not trianed in that but I think it is basically what I did with number 2. I was in the car for 2 1/2 hours to get to the hospital and I was completely relaxed and in my own *zone*. Basically I had no choice, I had to survive 2.5 hours in the care with contractions 3 minutes apart! I was so calm when I got to the hospital they didn't believe me when I said I need to push. The nurse was so annoyed, then she finally checked me and jumped up, ran and got the Dr. and he was out in 3 pushes.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 2:36 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• I had very easy deliveries with both pregnancies. Both times I had epidurals. They came on their due dates. I never had to have stitches or anything. I even had twins the second time around. My Dr. was so good and have to thank her for the no stitches part. I'm hoping this time around will be just as easy!
    kryty

Answer by kryty at 3:50 PM on Jun. 8, 2009