I guess you have heard

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090608/ap_on_re_as/as_nkorea_journalists_held

About the 2 women who were supposedly caught over the border of N .Korea and have now been sentenced to 12 years hard labor as punishment(equals death).

They were reporting for a Gore online news site.

On one news show they said we should send Gore over there to talk to them. I just think we should send our special forces over there to rescue them.

Do you think Gore could help? Shoud we go get them or just talk some more?

itsmesteph11

Asked by itsmesteph11 at 2:02 PM on Jun. 8, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Talk some more. They will be released if they are pacified. But on the other hand maybe if we sent al gore they would keep him as well:)
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 2:06 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• I don't think they will listen to anyone. They want new sanctions and will release them upon getting them.

Ibelongtojesus

Answer by Ibelongtojesus at 2:06 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• they were americans?? why where they there??...
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 2:07 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• LOL Carpy, them possibly keeping Gore did cross my mind.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 2:08 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• I don't see how he can risk letting them go without losing face. That entire little empire is dependent upon the populace living in constant fear of both us (meaning the entire world outside NK) and the wrath of KJI. The only way he could let them leave is if he's managed to keep their capture hidden from the populace to begin with. The fact that they've been tried and convicted makes that seem pretty unlikely.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:10 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

They were doing a story on people fleeing North Korea to China. There is a debate on whether they were on the Chinese side or the North Korean side. One of the women is Lisa Ling's sister who went into North Korea undercover as a doctor's assistant. I wonder if some of the trouble they're getting in is because of Lisa Ling's story.
    smalltowngal

Answer by smalltowngal at 2:13 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• its not so simple to just send our troops over there, that is an act of war and we are caught up in enough of that as it is. We have prisoners from other countries and their home countries cant just come over and take them back, its like a game of chess really and the two journalists have become the pawns. N. Korea is going to use them as a bargaining tool to push talks with America and in exchange for something in return I would bet. I do think that we need to get our people out of there but we cant just go stomping in with brute force that was the old administration time to use our head before our brawn now
    savala88

Answer by savala88 at 3:38 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Yes I have heard and now NK wants to use them as a bargaining chip. The sentence is not a definite thing but they through umm whats the word... negotiations they will get freed .
    CNN has several articles on the happenings in NK another which is Nuclear testing on the east coast of NK , they ordered fishing boats to be cleared of the area by June 10. Tensions are high right now and SK is sick of NK .
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 4:11 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Gore? Why in the world would they send him? How about Bill Richardson or someone else with some solid experience who is respected!
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 4:36 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• do think that we need to get our people out of there but we cant just go stomping in with brute force that was the old administration time to use our head before our brawn now

I do believe Bush was working it that way with NK!!! Different situation with NK but perhaps that is to much for some to comprehend.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 4:45 PM on Jun. 8, 2009