Is it safe to start working out?

My son was born June 3rd by a vaginal birth... I did have to get 5 stitches... but would it be safe for me to workout a lil??.. a few sit ups here and stuff like that??? I wanna get back into shape asap especially since it's summer

June_Mama09

Asked by June_Mama09 at 2:06 PM on Jun. 8, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• i'm not sure about sit ups (I would think it safer to do them after vaginal than c section...) but walking a little bit would probably be a safer start!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 2:15 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• i think long as ur not hurting ur okay ur body will tell u if something is worng i had my baby may 16th and thats 3 weeks ago ...the 1st week back home i been doing lil exercises and doing things back too normal.. cleaning house. and going tanning.. ur body will tell u if something is wrnge!
    Anonymous

• My doctor didn't want me to do much exercising much until after my first appointment after birth. No jogging, I remember. I'd be leery of sit ups so soon. Your best bet would be to call the doctor's office and ask.

Answer by Bmat at 2:35 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• i would wait for your 6 week check up b4 doing anything serious, jsut because i went on a walk with dh a few weeks after my vaginal birth. i ended up in so much pain afterwards. i hardly made it home! then i cramped so bad. DH almost took me to the hospital!! my delivery was perfectly normal and everything, my body jsut wasnt ready for me to do that yet.
    RhiannonHunt

Answer by RhiannonHunt at 2:53 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• I would at least wait until your stitches heal.
    sw33t_blond3

Answer by sw33t_blond3 at 4:57 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• I think that is a question you should ask your doctor. But usually they recommend you recover for 6 weeks.
    MommyRuby2008

Answer by MommyRuby2008 at 6:44 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Within a week of giving birth to my daughter I was back to walking a few miles a day. I did bleed more after I came back from the walk. Start small. Walk around the block, then go farther, but talk to the doctor just to make sure its right for you.
    Glickstein

Answer by Glickstein at 8:22 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• I felt the same way right after my daughter was born on March 27, 2009. But I think you should wait at least 6 weeks. I tried working out and now I'm experiencing pelvis pains. But check with your doctor before you start any exercising. Good luck
    Luvmy1

Answer by Luvmy1 at 8:49 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• For now, just stick with walking. It's great exercise. The baby will enjoy the fresh air and you can lose some weight. Save anything more strenuous until your first post-partam check up.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:24 AM on Jun. 9, 2009