How do you treat thrush in an infant!?

my daughter is 4 months. i just saw some white looking patches on the tip of her tounge. i tryed to wipe it off and it didnt come off... im thinking its thrush. how can i treat it??

Anonymous_J

Asked by Anonymous_J at 2:07 PM on Jun. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• There is a medication you need a prescription for. You don't have her drink it, you "baste" the inside of her mouth with it and if you are nursing, you need to apply it to your nipples as well, other wise you will be passing it back & forth. I don't think there are any home remidies for it...

Hope this helps
    sauterelledesil

Answer by sauterelledesil at 2:20 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• My oldest got thrush as an infant and he was perscribed an antibiotic for it....that was to be rubbed on the gums,tongue and inner cheek.....you can also take a wet baby rag and wipe their mouth out after every bottle.....make sure you take the child to the pediatrician before it starts to blister
    threeunderfive

Answer by threeunderfive at 2:23 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Gentian Violet. My youngest and I had thrush three times. The first two times we used Nystatin which is a prescribed antifungal. It did not work. Then I consulted a lactation consultant and she recommended I use GV. You can get it over the counter at a pharmacy or probably a health food store. It is very purple and very messy, very very messy, but it works like a charm. You use a q-tip to coat the entire inside of baby's mouth - gums, tongue, cheeks, everywhere - and you can either nurse right away or paint your nipples too. You do have to treat both of you even if you have no symptoms because otherwise you just keep passing it back and forth. I used the GV once a day for 7 days and never had thrush again. It will stain clothes so use old clothes and blankets and use a fresh q-tip every time you dip so you don't contaminate the bottle. Good luck.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 2:30 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• You should take her to the Dr. for diagnosis and prescription meds (they are not antibiotics, but anitfungals. Antibiotics makes thrush worse!) If you are breastfeeding both mom and baby need to be treated even if only one is showing symptoms. Info on diagnosis and treatments at Candida Protocol

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 2:31 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• It's not an antibiotic. It's an antifungal. Thrush is a fungal infection - actually it's yeast.

You can go to the doctor and get a prescription. Usually they give Nystantin and it's one of the cheap drugs. Follow the directions your doctor gives.
    OR
    You can go to the drug store and get gentian violet - about $6. Use a q-tip to paint some on the inside of the lips and cheeks. Wait a week, if it's not gone, do it one more time. Be aware that it stains everything it touches so do it outside and both of you should wear clothes you don't care about. After Nysantin falied to get rid of my daughter's last case of thrush, the doctor told us to try this. It worked.

Also be sure to boil everything he puts in his mouth - every teething toy and bottle nipple. Bring to full boil, and boil them for 5 minutes. Anything that can't be boiled needs to be washed very well.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 2:33 PM on Jun. 8, 2009