homosexuality and my religion...

is it wrong to believe in most things in the bible but not all?? i go to church with my girlfriend and i love her very much. i know the bible speaks against it but i just cant accept that. people wrote the bible so how do we know they didnt throw stuff in that they wanted to add??? and the fact that a passage can be translated and interpreted in so many different ways makes most things simply unreliable.... any thoughts??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:08 PM on Jun. 8, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I highly suggest that you rent the dvd "For the Bible Tells Me So" It has some really good information on the bible and those passages, and how the bible does NOT say homosexuality is a sin.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 2:14 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• HUN, JUST THE FACT THAT YOU GO TO CHURCH REGARDLESS OF HOW MANY RELIGIONS SEE YOUR LIFESTYLE IS A PLUS IN MY BOOK. THE BIBLE IS INTERPRETED IN MILLIONS OF WAYS BY MILLIONS OF PEOPLE. I AM CLOSE AND PERSONAL TO THE GAY LIFESTYLE AND I DON'T SEE THE SIN INVOLVED, THE ONLY SIN I SEE IS HOW SOME PEOPLE REACT TO IT, LEAVING A LOVING RELATIONSHIP FEELING LESS THAN LOVED.
    LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO LIVE YOUR LIFE AS OTHERS THINK YOU SHOULD, YOU ARE THE ONLY ONE THAT KNOWS IN YOUR HEART THAT GOD LOVES YOU REGARDLESS OF HOW SOME INTERPRET HIS WORDS.

Answer by older at 2:17 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• I have no faith in the bible. But I wanted to just tell you that You should hold your head up and hold your love close no matter what someone else says. IF you love her and she loves you, nothing should come between you. I feel it's such a shame that anyone would have to go through questioning their own faith and their own love. Don't let anyone tell you it's wrong to love. I am sure you will get many nasty comments - Ignore them! Not all Christians believe every word of the bible. It's a book to help guide you, it's not word for word anything. It was written by MEN, not any God. And not everything there is to be taken as if it is. Is it okay to stone a person? No, but it's biblical. If you have faith in your God and your religion then you should have the faith that they led you to the right person, woman or no...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:18 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• You should talk to your pastor specifically. You mention "your religion", so to me there is significance to that particular religion/church.
    People will always interpret the Bible to meet their needs. But if you have a belief in your religion, best to talk to someone "in the know".
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 2:18 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Maybe you want to look into attending a church that is "Open and Affirming". Go to Open and Affirming in the UCC

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 2:26 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Talk to your Pastor personally. I'm Christian and have always been told that it's a sin also, but never have really found THE passage in the Bible that says that clearly. I hope you and your significant other have a long and loving relationship. But, again, I'd seek counsel from someone who has more insight to what the Bible teaches. Good Luck...God Bless to you both.
    lighthousemom3

Answer by lighthousemom3 at 2:57 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• I agree with maggie, if you feel your church is not open to the gay and lesbian community try finding a church that is open. There are many denominations that are very accepting. Don't feel ashamed to love one another. Nothing is wrong with who you are, don't let the people who close their minds make you feel less of a person. You know in your heart how you feel. Your relationship with the divine is up to you. Don't let the cherry picking people in your heart. Be happy Mama.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 2:57 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Yes, people wrote the Bible.
    writeon

Answer by writeon at 3:20 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• While there are many churches that are very open to those who are homosexual, I have yet to find one that is also actively studying the Bible. That's one of the reasons I went back to the church of my childhood. I wanted a church where I was uplifted by the message, actively studied the Bible, encouraged people to learn and read the word... but I also wanted one that was open to homosexuals. I did not find both in one church. The UU church had very little Bible. The Methodist church had 1 Bible reading and did not encourage to read and study the word. The Presbyterian church had a little more about the Bible but, again, didn't actively encourage study. And none of them was friendly. I wanted a church where I could go and talk to others and have an extended family where you could have picnics and stuff together and I never got that. So I went back to my church, anti-homosexual, and teach my children to love ALL and not hate.
    Anonymous

• There are Christian denominations that are open to homosexuals - Methodist and Episcopalian, UCC, Unity come to mind. UU churches are also very open to anyone, regardless of sexual orientation. I love our UU congregation - it's not simply "tolerated" to be gay, they are united in support for equal rights and embrace diversity.

http://www.johnshelbyspong.com/bishopspongon_homosexuality.aspx

Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 3:26 PM on Jun. 8, 2009