Getting baby to sleep by herself..

My DD was born Oct. 25th, 2008 and I've been co-sleeping with her since she was born, mostly because I'm breastfeeding. I think it might be time to get her used to sleeping by herself so I set up the play pen next to my bed. I've only gotten her to sleep in it 2x for 30 minutes each. I would try CIO more often but I also have an almost 3 year old that I don't want to wake up in the process. Any suggestions on how to make the transition easier for both her and I?? She also has her own room with a crib in it that she never sleeps in..would it be better to try and get her to sleep in there rather then the play pen in my room??

FL_Mommy_2

Asked by FL_Mommy_2 at 2:14 PM on Jun. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think it's cruel to go from allowing a child to sleep next to you in your bed to flat out nothing, and then on top of that make them cry. If you started out cosleeping, you need to make an extra effort to make the transition a little gentler on your baby. Other people that let their kids cio when they are already sleeping along, well, the kids are at least used to being alone in a crib. This is a bigger transition for your baby. You might want to try the playpen in your room, but actually comfort her rather than letting her cry. Let her see that it's safe, and that you're near. Then, you can decide if you want to transition to the crib, or if you're fine with where she's at. My 8 month old is in a playpen in our room, and it works well for us. I have chosen not to night wean, and she still nurses twice in a 12 hour night. This works for my family. Find what balances for you, keeping your child's needs in mind.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 2:46 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• i think you should've started a long time ago hun. she's already gotten use to sleeping with you. to transition her is gonna be hard but i say start with the playpen first. she's gonna cry. but i say let her. lol she'll get tired and cry herself to sleep.... or you could try a nice warm bath to soothe her. then lay her down in the playpen. try to put one of your shirts or something with your smell on it so she can feel near you.
    Anonymous_J

Answer by Anonymous_J at 2:19 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• If she's in her own room she can't smell you. I know that sounds weird, but it's actually helped a lot of babies to be in their own room. She's so used to you that she can smell your scent in the room. If she's in her own room she'll evenutally get used to the fact that you're not there and start falling asleep on her own. But it isn't going to happen overnight as I'm sure you already know.
    Anonymous

• I transitioned mine at around that age to their own crib in my room to begin with. This way I could be with them. I let them cry but did not leave them, I was right there talking to them patting them etc. just not picking them up. You got it to work a couple of times, just keep trying, and it will start to work more!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 2:21 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• CIO doesn't work as often as it DOES.

GREAT article on transitioning baby on drjaygordon.com....searhc the site for "sleep."

Answer by gdiamante at 7:39 PM on Jun. 8, 2009