Is my baby underweight?!?

A couple of my friends nd I were pregnant at the same time. i had my daughter feb 18th, nd two of my girlfriends had their babys on march 15th. my aunt had her son on april 10th. So why is everyone else's baby bigger than my daughter?! shes 4 months and weighs 12 pounds. my aunt's son is two months and weighs the same. and my girlfriend's baby is almost 14 pounds. Why is my daughter so small and shes the oldest?!

Anonymous_J

Asked by Anonymous_J at 2:14 PM on Jun. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• same reason adults are different sizes, everyones body type is different. as long as your doctor isn't worried about her weight i wouldn't be worried.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 2:16 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Are YOU a petite person? What was your daughter's birth weight? Babies typically TRIPLE their birth weight by their 1st birthday. All babies grow and develop at different speeds.

Girls tend to be lighter/smaller than boys. However, my two boys couldn't be more different! They have the same parents, eat the same healthy diet (including portion sizes), and very active. My now 7 1/2 yo was 21" long at birth, weighed 7 lbs 6 oz, and was 21 lbs at his 1yo appt.; he is NOW only 44" tall and weighs 43 lbs! Whereas my 5 1/2 yo was 19" at birth, weighed 7 lbs 7ozs and was 30 lbs at his 1 yo appt. He's now 48" tall and weighs 60 pounds!!!

If your daughter has an appetite and keeps her food down (no reflux), then I wouldn't worry. If you have any concerns, talk to your pediatrician. They will be recording her height/weight for the first 3 years. As long as she is progressing, there is no need for concern.

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 2:27 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• her birth weight was 6 pounds, 9 oz. and no im not a small person. her father isnt either. and she keeps all her milk down. no spitting up.
    Anonymous_J

Answer by Anonymous_J at 2:34 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• My daughter was 6 lbs 7 oz at birth and only weighed 10 pounds at 4 months so your daughter sounds fine to me
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 2:49 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• but im bottle feeding. with rice cereal once in a while. isnt she suppose to be bigger?!?
    Anonymous_J

Answer by Anonymous_J at 2:53 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• She *could* have an allergy that is inhiditing her growth. Sometimes poor growth is the only *noticeable* sign of a food allergy. Does she have dark circles under her eyes? Was /is she colicky?
    Anonymous

• my daughter was also 6 lbz 9 ozs at birth. both father and i are not petite and she still came out little. she is 2 and a half now and weighs about 26 lbs which is smaller in comparison to other kids her age. she is still skinny but not scary looking, and she probably always will be. the doctor once told me that as long as she has an appetite and continues to grow, there is no need for concern.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 3:19 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• shes never been colicky and i dont notice any dark circles around her eyes. maybe because shes been sleeping through the night since she was a month old and doesnt wake up for a feeding. i dont know.
    Anonymous_J

Answer by Anonymous_J at 3:44 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• She's nearly DOUBLE her birth weight ALREADY? She isn't expected to double till six months.

She's HUGE for HER. Forget the other babies. Comparing babies is the road to madness. Smart parents refuse to travel it.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:38 PM on Jun. 8, 2009