Can someone please explain?

Ok so maybe Im ignorant, but I dont know a lot about other religions. I am not here to judge or critisize. but I saw the other day on the tv show Worlds Strictist Parents something about Mormon people, and that they use the Bible. I never new that (this is where the ignorant part comes in). I guess I thought they had a whole different book!! So can someone please tell me some of the basics about mormons since apparently I know nothing about them, and I dont have a lot of time to google it!! Im just curious...

RhiannonHunt

Asked by RhiannonHunt at 2:19 PM on Jun. 8, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• They use the King James version of the Bible along with 3 other book of scriptures.
    They have the Book of Mormon(which was translated by Joseph Smith and is a record of an ancient people here in America). This is the book most people know and assume they use in place of the bible. Thats not so, they use both.
    They also have two books of modern day revelations...Doctrine and Covenants are basically things revealed to Joseph Smith. The Pearl of Great Price are scriptures dealing with Abraham and Moses.

They believe in basic Christian teachings...Christ as the Savior who came, taught, died for sins and was resurrected. They believe in things as Christ had them when he walked the earth(head of church...which was Christ, 12 apostles, etc).

I know there are plenty of LDS mom groups here on CM and Im sure they will gladly help answer questions.

Im also sure some will answer this question and Im here if you'd like to chat.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 2:29 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• http://www.beliefnet.com/Faiths/2007/01/Mormon-Religion.aspx

There's a ton of articles there to get you started.

BTW, there's a resident troll here who will probably post all kinds of garbage and links to bigoted sites once she sees this.  She does it every time someone mentions LDS or JW's.  Don't take it personally.

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:26 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Thank you ladies for your help, Ill keep it up to say what some others say. Im not too worried about the trolls...they just entertain me, I tend to ignore them though.
    RhiannonHunt

Answer by RhiannonHunt at 2:33 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Cool....I didn't know that either. By the way, is it wrong for me to ask who the TROLL is? Just wondering.
    lighthousemom3

Answer by lighthousemom3 at 2:53 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• I took lessons from the Mormons when I ran away from home at age 16. They were really nice to me and had a free food bank. They give a lot of their earnings to the church to provide for the needy. They were very family oriented and none that I met had 2 wives.
    writeon

Answer by writeon at 3:17 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• They use the King James and the mormon bible together, they believe Joseph Smiths words more than the Holy Bible.

Notpanicking.. this was rude BTW, there's a resident troll here who will probably post all kinds of garbage and links to bigoted sites once she sees this. She does it every time someone mentions LDS or JW's. Don't take it personally.

Remember what you say about people can come right back at you. It is wise to say nothing at all. That comment was an all out attack.. Not cool!
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 3:36 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• The Mormons believe that their religion is the restoration of the true church with its priesthood and ordinances. Hence, its official name, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. In the Mormon Church, no division exists between clergy and laity. Rather, beginning at the age of 12, every worthy male member may become involved with various duties of the church, achieving priesthood by the age of 16.
    BabayBella

Answer by BabayBella at 3:36 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• The majority of church positions are unsalaried, and LDS families join in the many programs sponsored by their local congregation, or ward. On a congregational level, elders, bishops, and stake (district) presidents oversee the well-organized affairs of the church. A council of 12 apostles in Salt Lake City has worldwide jurisdiction. Ultimately, the president of the church—revered as prophet, seer, and revelator—and two counselors form the church’s presiding authority, called the Quorum of the Presidency, or the First Presidency.
    BabayBella

Answer by BabayBella at 3:37 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Several ordinances affect the lives of devout Mormons. Baptism, signifying repentance and obedience, may take place upon reaching eight years of age. Washing and anointing purify and consecrate the believer. The temple endowment ceremony involves a series of covenants, or promises, and a special temple undergarment to be worn ever after, as a protection from evil and as a reminder of the vows of secrecy taken. Also, a Mormon couple may seal their marriage in a temple “for time and eternity” so that their family can remain intact in heaven, where the couple may continue to bear children.
    BabayBella

• Remember what you say about people can come right back at you. It is wise to say nothing at all. That comment was an all out attack.. Not cool!

No, it was a statement of fact. Calling him/her out by name would be an attack.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:37 PM on Jun. 8, 2009