What could be some reasons for an ultrasound at 39 weeks?

I exhibited high BP and high protein levels at around 37 weeks but they have all dropped back to normal. We are already doing fetal non-stress tests each week which have all looked fine.

A nurse just called and said the CNM is requesting another 24-hour urinalysis (which I did at 37 weeks and passed) and is adding an ultrasound onto my Thursday appointment. I asked her why it was being ordered and she said

Asked by a0xbjzz at 2:24 PM on Jun. 8, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Maybe, in case they decide to induce labor, they want to see the position the baby's in. Or to make sure there are no other complications that could slow down labor if they needed to get the baby out quickly.

• It could be several things. I had to get an US at what we thought was our 39 weeks. Come to find out i was 3 weeks late and had placenta rupture. I wouldn't worry too much. If they really thought something was seriously wrong they would get you in sooner. Dont stress... GL

Answer by Proudparent707 at 2:28 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• They ordered one for me at 37 weeks because I was measuring so large. I think they wanted to see if it really was such a big baby, or too much amniotic fluid or what. I missed my appointment as I went into labor and delivered a 9 lb. 1 oz. baby :-)

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 2:28 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Checking size and position of the baby as well as the amount of fluid around baby. The mother having high blood pressure can affect the baby just as well as the mother. I'd be glad to have one.

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 2:30 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• High blood pressure and protein in the urine.. could be a red flag for ecclampsia or preecclampsia.

I am sure they just want to make sure baby is ok =)

• Im almost done with my 3rd pregnancy, and have always had alot of ultrasounds, nothing wrong medicaly. I had one a week before my son was born and the day before my daughter. I have one next week and had one 4 weeks ago and am due in 3 wks. I wouldnt worry, worry is not going to help you. Just be thankful you'll have a better idea of position and weight. the more information the better... good luck

Answer by Kerinmomof2 at 3:49 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• I had nothing like that... But I did get an ultrasound every week from 35 to 38 weeks cuz baby was breech.... then he turned lol lucky me

Answer by mommy2b17MV at 4:01 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• not that that would help with you at all