Have you ever met someone you just did not like?

My Mother has these friends that have helped her a lot. I appreciate that, but they've never been anything but rude to me. From the moment I met them there was something about them I disliked. Not to mention theyre like the epitome of trashy people. There Kids have stolen from my house a number of times. My Mom keeps bringing them back, cause she doesnt want to fight with the parents. ugh! Well they were under no circumstances allowed at my wedding. Guess what My Mother brought them... Welllllllll I was very very angry that she did that behind my back.. Now that I have a baby shower coming up I DO NOT want them there. How do I make sure My Mom does not bring them? Also what is it with these people? ive never disliked someone sooo much. Like I said they helped my Mom, though she may think theyre trashy and whatnot, she wants them to know she is grateful, but there is only so much more i can take! Helllllp

firethearson

Asked by firethearson at 2:37 PM on Jun. 8, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Your mother should respect your wishes. Your wedding and baby shower is about YOU, not your mother. I would suggest telling her very plainly that you do not want her to bring them there. She should respect that.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 2:41 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• I agree...you should be able to tell your mom who you want at your shower. If you mom plays it off like someone other than herself is hosting your shower than she doesn't have to worry about offending anyone either...she didn't make the guest list.

as for your question "have you ever met anyone you just don't like?" ...do you want the list alphabetically or in the order I met them? lol
    ivebcummymother

Answer by ivebcummymother at 2:49 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Yes, the people at my mom's *cough*church*cough* errrrr.. cult. something about them doesn't sit right with me.
    MHaney1980

Answer by MHaney1980 at 2:58 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• That seems beyond not liking someone... they apparently have violated your boundaries and disrespected you as a person on more than one occasion. They can help your mom, and you can appreciate that and respect the fact that they are her friends... it doesn't mean they are YOUR friends and certainly don't need to be part of welcoming your baby. They seem toxic.

It seems that your mother might have some issues respecting boundaries (at least yours) as well... you need to set a clear, firm boundary with her on this. You can be calm, respectful, gentle, and compassionate with any anger or hurt she might feel (people with boundary issues often react very badly to clear boundaries at first) but you can stick to your guns. There's lots online if you Google "setting boundaries."
    Guilt and/or fear of confrontation keeps people from setting and enforcing their own boundaries. You need to feel free to live the life YOU want!!!!
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 3:08 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• I suggest you pick up your mom and bring her to the shower. That way, you can be sure she isn't bringing them. If they show up at the door, politely say you are having an invitation-only party right now. If they get huffy, who cares? They are rude and disrespectful and if they show up at your shower without being invited, they are party-crashers, too. YOU DON'T owe them anything.

And yes, I have met people I have taken an immediate dislike to. I trust my instinct about people. So far, I'm glad I have!
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 3:13 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Tell your mom what you told us, you understand her appreciating the help and you get that she likes them. BUT...this is YOUR shower not hers and she needs to respect that. Crashing a wedding just confirms what you believe. Does she know they stole from you?
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 4:43 PM on Jun. 8, 2009