The 2 year old that i nanny for was taking 2-3 hour naps every day, and now he knows how to get out of his crib and we are lucky to get him to nap at all....I had to rock him to sleep today which iv never had to do....Any suggestions???

martinsmom2008

Asked by martinsmom2008 at 2:46 PM on Jun. 8, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It's time for a toddler bed and maybe a child proof door knob cover or put up a gate.

Anonymous

• I agree. Once he can climb out, you need to move to a bed (we went directly to a regular bed). however, it's likely that until he adjusts to a bed, you're going to have the same problem at nap time. You could also try a crib tent but it may not work depending on the type of crib. We found that once our son adjusted to the bed, naptime issues went away as well.
    Anonymous

• At 2, move him to a toddler bed. If you can't do that - since you aren't the parent - keep the side of the crib down so he won't get hurt climbing out. While I loved our crib tent, my daughter was used to it long before she was 2. I don't know who well an older toddler would adjust to being enclosed in the tent.

To keep him in bed, put a baby gate over the door or a door knob cover on the door so he can't get out of the room. Then do the "silent return to bed" trick... when he gets out of bed, pick him up, carry him back to bed, lay him down, cover him up, and leave. All without looking him in the eye or saying a word. Any interaction from you is a reward. It doesn't matter if you are scolding him, trying to calm him down, or sing him to sleep - you gave him attention. This can take many attempts before he gets it but it does work.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:51 PM on Jun. 8, 2009