What will you do when it all implodes?

How will you get out of town when the gas stations say "closed"? How will you get that money out of the bank when the banks close to prevent a run on their reserves? How will you buy food for your children when there is none on the shelves due to the gas shortages for hauling? How will you heat/cool your house when there is no electricity and/or the lines are down and no one is repairing them? How will you call for help when the phones no longer work? How will you protect yourself and your family from the rampaging hordes who will be going house to house looking for food? Have you even thought about this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:55 PM on Jun. 8, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Get out of town? We don't live in town. When the banks close? We keep cash on hand and have a barter network. Food and clothing? We already grow and raise 90% of the food we eat and butcher our own animals. We also hunt and fish. Clothing, I have a large supply of material and can sew. We heat with wood and rarely use AC, could spend the hottest part of the day in the basement. Call for help? There won't be any help, you are on your own. Protection? Got plenty of it, starting with some very large dogs with big teeth. Thought about this? Yep, years ago. We are pretty self sufficient and love the security and the independence we have because of it.
    Anonymous

• I think you are thinking too much.
    Anonymous

• Yes, a little too much. :) I think DH and I have planned for just about every situation mentioned.
    smalltowngal

Answer by smalltowngal at 2:57 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• oh boy here we go....and what is causing this catastrophe this time??
    RhiannonHunt

Answer by RhiannonHunt at 2:58 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Never hurts to be prepared.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 3:01 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

For me, I'm most worried about the fact that China has already made currency deals with seven countries to get around using the US dollar as the reserve country. When that happens, the US dollar's value will tank and commdity prices will go up dramatically. If that doesn't happen, we're at least going to see major inflation considering we've already spent 100 times what was spent to get us out of the Great Depression and that's after adjusting for inflation.
    smalltowngal

Answer by smalltowngal at 3:03 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• RhiannonHunt, when it happens are you going to sit on the computer (without electricity) and ask why it happened or are you going to be out there doing something useful? If so what?
    Anonymous

• They wanted a modern day Jimmy Carter and they got it 100 fold.Carter did enough damage but this one i'm afraid is going to be worse.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 3:05 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• the same way I will react when little green martians land in my yard and try to take us.

thundernlight

Answer by thundernlight at 3:06 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Sounds like the old days.
    Anonymous