why do i weigh so much but don't look as big as my weight number?

i am 210 lbs. but i kid you not, EVERYONE tells me they think i weigh 180. personally, i think i look 192 or so. maybe they're just being nice, not sure, but even my best friend who is always honest w/ me tells me that. anyway, i have a lot of muscle from constantly working out on my elliptical and lifting weights...i am still fat though, don't get me wrong...but my q. is, how could i possibly look 30 lbs. off? AND: when i get to my goal body look, i end up at 160 looking skinny and then i just saw on this diet program a woman who looked very chubby and she was only 165??? when for me at 160 i was loving it and skinny??? and we are the same height. i am 5'6. my mom always says she had 'heavy bones'...is this true that there is such a thing as having heavier bones than other people???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:59 AM on Aug. 13, 2008 in Diet & Fitness

• YES! There is such a thing of bigger bones weighing more!! I weigh 148 and ware a size 6 and am 5'5. Before both of my kids i weighed 128 and wore a double 0!!! Ive always had a lot of muscle and that in its self weighs way more than fat! A buddy of mine weighs @ 118 and wares a size bigger than me! So yes I do believe in bigger bones. your weight is just a # and I think if you can look at your self and be proud of who you are than who cares what that DARN scale says!!!
    luvmyboyz321

Answer by luvmyboyz321 at 2:22 PM on Aug. 21, 2008

• im 5'9 and i weigh 175 ish.. and everyone thinks i weigh like 135.. its crazy.. idk how or why either... but whatever.. lol if i look smaller than i really am.. im happy!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:04 AM on Aug. 13, 2008

• You have more muscle than fat on your body. Muscle is denser and takes up less space so your heavier without looking heavier. I'm 5'7 and 200 lbs but I wear a size 10 people guess my weight at 150, and even my Dr says he's never seen someone weigh what I weigh and look allot thinner. Fat takes up LOTS of space and muscles just dont.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 1:17 AM on Aug. 13, 2008

• And yes, your bone density is a consideration. I am 4'11" and my ideal weight is somewhere around 105 for my height. I weighed about 125 when I got pregnant, but because I have a larger bone structure my doctor told me that 125 was good for me and he still wanted me to gain 25-35 pounds. My husband is 6'5" and his ideal is around 250, but he is so muscular and stocky that his doctor said 275 at the lowest. He weighs about 300 and looks good there. People are shocked when they find out how much he weighs.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 3:22 AM on Aug. 13, 2008

• I am the same way! I weight about as much as you do right now...meaning that I have gained some sixty pounds since being married. Yet, My pants are only ONE size bigger (some of them two, if I got for looser). I think it has to do with body composition. For instance, my mom can gain twenty pounds and look WAY bigger...this is because all of her weight goes in one place. Whereas, I can gain twenty pounds and not even go up a full size. This is because all my weight is evenly distributed to my stomach, arms, legs, butt, and hips. I also have a larger frame, or what you called "heavy bones". it just means that your shoulders may be slightly broader and your hips wider than others...meaning that it can hold extra weight better than others. It actually is an advantage, because I can gain more weight without people noticing...but I also have to LOSE more before it is noticed too. *sigh* a curse and a blessing, I guess!!!
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 5:34 PM on Aug. 13, 2008

• We are all shaped differently. My BF is 155 and a size 10. At 155, I was a 6. Today I'm in a 16 (down from a 22 so far!!!!) and I weigh 65 pounds MORE than my girlfriend who is also a 16 ... and she is 4" taller!
    Weight is so subjective sometimes.

check out www.YourFitLifeNow.com
    ServinGsus

Answer by ServinGsus at 9:53 AM on Aug. 16, 2008