BF baby refuses bottle

My 3 month old, breastfed baby absolutely refuses to take a bottle. I tried going to the store by myself the other day and was immediately called back because she woke up and was hungry. We've tried everything: special bottles, making it intimate, me leaving the room, me feeding her with just a bra on. Nothing works! It's driving me crazy. It's been 3 months, i need some time to myself. What else should we try?

terahg

Asked by terahg at 2:57 PM on Jun. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• All I can say is that I feel for you. My daughter is almost 15 months old and has only taken a bottle 1 time. I've left her with my hubby a few times and she went to sleep while I was gone so she didn't need anything to eat while I wasn't home. Since that one time she has refused a bottle. Now that she's older and eats table food it's easier for me to get out, but I know what you're going through. Hopefully she'll come around for you...try going outside the next time you try it and have somebody else give her a bottle. It's very unlikely that she will take one from you because she can smell your milk and knows you're right there. Good luck.
    whittear

Answer by whittear at 3:03 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• NAK
    Here's what you do. Find someone who can handle the baby(sometimes dad isn't the person to use) and then nurse before you leave and go. If baby gets hungry enough she'll take it. If she doesn't then she'll just nurse more when you get back. I left my 3 month old for 4 hours. She screamed 3 hours and 45 minutes of the 4 hours that I was gone for. My mom and aunt just walked her, and cuddled her and made sure there was nothing else wrong. There wasn't, she just wanted me. She would take 1oz of milk about every hour or so.You might try a cup. Emi took to a cup like a fish to water at 4 months.
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 3:13 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• my daughter is 6 months and wont use a bottle either. she wont even eat baby food either!
    Rebekahs_Mommy

Answer by Rebekahs_Mommy at 5:33 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Try putting your expressed milk in a sippy cup and let someone else feed her with that. Also if it comes down to it someone can spoon feed her the expressed milk while you are gone.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 6:09 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Hand baby to dad, leave...and let HIM deal with her. She'll eat when hungry, really. The fact that he called you back IMMEDIATELY tells me he barely even tried.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:35 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• i have the exact same problem with my 3 month old. The only solution and she still hates it, because the breast soothes her and puts her to sleep, is using a dropper to feed her. It's slow and annoying but if you want your me time it's worth it.
    Anonymous