Reflux

I don't want to give her medication if she doesn't need it. What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:59 PM on Jun. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Most physicians I've come across (through many MANY friends whose baby had this problem) usually prescribe other, more natural solutions before opting to put a small baby on medication. One friend had to buy special bottles made for colic to reduce upset, another was told to use a tablespoon of rice cereal in each bottle to thicken it. There are also special "gentle" formulas you can try. You should also burp your baby frequently during the feeding, not just in the middle and at the end. Try burping every one to two ounces. If you feel you have not exhausted every other remedy and your doctor is calling for medication; I don't blame you for being hesistant. I never like to give medication unless 100% necessary for my child's heath and happiness. If this is the case, get a second opinion. Maybe, even if you have tried the above, there is a natural remedy you could try. My SIL SWEARS by these homeopathic colic tablets for gas!
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 3:15 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• if its required, use it because reflux can burn in their throat. both my kids had it. well my 3mon does and i held off. wish I didn't cuz shes not nearly as fussy. it can cause long term problems and more than likely they wont need it by 9 mons w/ medicine to help. its safe for newborns. its acid eating at their esphagus, med. stops it.
    Anonymous