birth control- how well does the mini pill work?

My daughter is 3 weeks old and Im still breast feeding. My OBG said the best form of birth control is the "mini pill". Im wondering how well does this work? Anyone gotten pregnant from it? what side effects has anyone experienced?

stenhouse_baby

Asked by stenhouse_baby at 3:08 PM on Jun. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I took it to straiten out my wild periods....not for BC. I dont like the side effects of regular BC so my Dr told me that there is no estrogen in the mini pill and might not affect me as much. She was right. They didnt bother me at all. And they helped my period a lot.

If your Dr put you on them, and he/she knew that you were looking to stop a pregnancy, then they should be fine. I took Aviane.
    Here is something I found on the internet:
    In 2008, the mini-Pill is still nowhere near as popular as the ‘ordinary’ Pill. For every one woman taking the mini-Pill, there are more than 30 who use the ‘real’ Pill.

However, this progestogen-only Pill (POP) does provide very satisfactory contraception for over 100,000 British women – including a lot who can’t take the Pill. Recent research suggests that that the mini-Pill is particularly popular with females over 35.

mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 3:27 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• It works if you remember to take it religiously. If you're inclined to forget pills, forget this method.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:34 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• While nursing you need the mini pill or something non hormonal (condom, diaphragm, Paragard IUD). The hormones of regular hormonal birth control can mess with your supply.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 6:08 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• I can only speak for myself, and I did get pregnant, while breastfeeding, on the mini pill. Personally, I do not recommend it.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:36 PM on Jun. 8, 2009