Would you buy a used crib off Craigslist?

Has anyone done this? I found the one I wanted for $80! Is there a way to get it inspected or what should I look for to make sure it's safe for my little one? Thanks!

MommyKKay

Asked by MommyKKay at 3:15 PM on Jun. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i got mine off craigslist. the woman gave me the model info so i could look it up online and make sure it hadn't been recalled. then they showed me how to put it together so when we got it home it wasn't confusing. and make sure like the previous post said that all the hardware is there.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 3:41 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• I have a crib that I bought from craigs list. It was still set up when I went to look at it and I helped take it apart so I knew where all the hardware went . Make sure that it is new enough that it isn't painted with lead paint. Look for any markings that shows manufacturer and dates so you can look for recalls. The number one problem I found when shopping for second hand cribs was missing hardware. Hardware is SO important and not easily replaced with stuff from the hardware store. If it is missing any of the original pieces, don't buy it. Good Luck!!

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 3:21 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• yeah after I looked at it. Just be sure you google how far apart the slats are supposed to be apart cause that changed some years back and your good to go. It would be just like getting a hand me down from family.Good luck.

lostshel

Answer by lostshel at 3:23 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• As long as it's new within the last few years and all pieces are there...and as long as it's not on the recall lists...sure! Why not?
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 3:31 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• I did. It was a $400 crib and it was sold to me for $75!! It was in very good condition!
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 7:58 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Definitely make sure that it hasn't been recalled - find out the brand and model and go on their website. Aside from that I think getting one off of craigslist is totally fine! I got half the furniture in my house off craigslist!
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 9:26 PM on Jun. 8, 2009