Birth control- IUD side effects?

I want the strongest birth control out there. I've heard of the IUD. Is this a good idea or not? Side effects? anyone gotten pregnant with it?

stenhouse_baby

Asked by stenhouse_baby at 3:19 PM on Jun. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I'm no expert, but I just got the Mirena, and it's been kind of a pain. I just wanted it to get rid of my long, heavy period. My husband already had a vastectomy so I didn't need the birth control, but I got it just before Mother's Day and I've been bleeding ever since. I called the dr. and they said it was normal to bleed for up to 3 months...straight!!!

I've still been having the bad cramping that I had with my period before, and I've been having different kinds of cramps in my stomach, too. I don't know if it's all in my head, or if I should have it removed. I'm going for my scheduled check-up on the 26th. We'll see what happens.
    amyb99

Answer by amyb99 at 3:51 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• I've had mine close to a year, and the only effects I've had, besides the initial cramping and spotting, are heavier periods. And they were a bit irregular the first 6 mos. I have Paragard, the 10 year, copper, non hormonal IUD.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:29 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• I have the mirena.... for 8 months now... still not pregnant lol... When I first got it I spotted for about a month... I still have irregular periods but they are extremly light... dont mean to be graphic but wipe with toliet paper and see a lillte bit put a tampon in and go to change it and there is just a little spot... and thats all there is to it.... I didnt have any cramping no weight gain nothing... just feel normal... I would recomend it to anyone... lol 3 of my friends got them because of me
    mommy2b17MV

Answer by mommy2b17MV at 3:40 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• I have had the Mirena for about 3 months. I only had light spotting for about a month and a half after, the thing that bothered me was the strings. I could feel them most of the time for over a month. I thought it came out, so I went back to the doctor and he said it was in place and it was the strings I felt and I wouldn't feel the them after a while. So for a while now I can't feel them and I have not had a heavy period or light one at all since I stopped spotting.
    I was also very scared to do it since the doctor had to dilate me himself ( I had my baby by c-section so nothing had changed down there) and when he did the procedure there was no pain! So i worried for nothing. It's wonderful to have one less thing to worry about and I don't even know it's in my uterus. They give you a card with the date it was inserted cause (I think) it is so easy to forget you have it!
    crystal1480

Answer by crystal1480 at 7:28 PM on Jun. 8, 2009