Question about medicaid. Please don't bash =)

This question is about Medicaid in the state of Missouri, but I am sure all states are similar. Please, I just want answers, not criticism. For a family of 4. 2 parents and 2 kids, is one parent working that makes $15 an hour for a 40 hour week too much money for the kids to recieve health care? I ask b/c with the job my SO has, he makes decent money, but does not have health ins. available. And it is too expensive to pay privately. When the kids were born, I had ins. thru my job, but have lost my job ad ins. since then. Now the kids are not covered.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:22 PM on Jun. 8, 2009 in Money & Work

• As I said, I am not asking for criticism. Times are hard right now, and jobs are few and far between. My kids are uninsured, so until I could find a job, I may have to apply for state ins.
    Anonymous

• You should be able to go online and find the income guidelines for your state.
    customcat2000

Answer by customcat2000 at 3:29 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Well in Florida we have healthy kids which is kinda like medicaid but its for parents who make too much to qualify. I pay $15 per child ( 3 kids $45) per month. I have ins at my job too but its like 900 for all of us. They just asked for proof and I sent them the enrollment packet for my works insurance and my income, $15 per hour 40 hrs per week plus $250 per month child support for my son. I hope that have a program for you there like this. Good luck hon and hold you head up. Some people don't understand . I do. Ive been there. My dh is in the guard but my kids are not his so they cant be on his plan. You do what you have to do.

lostshel

Answer by lostshel at 3:35 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• *lostshel*
    I guess I need to call and see what they say. Im afraid of getting turned down for it. Thank you for understanding and thank you for your advice =)
    Anonymous

• nothing is wrong with having state insurance if you need it. why would anyone bash you? and im not sure but i think you can get help. good luck!
    Anonymous

• *Anonymous 2:50*
    Well, we all know how some of the women are on this site. They bash for everything. Thank you though =)**
    Anonymous

• I could be completely wrong, but in AR, if you do not have health insurance available to you, you automatically qualify for Medicaid for your children. Regardless of income. It might just be AR and, like I said, I could be wrong.
    Silvertears1275

Answer by Silvertears1275 at 4:10 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• No problem. Here we have a mock application site where you put in your basic info family size income etc and it will tell you if you would qualify, then if it says you are eligible you can apply, Good Luck.

lostshel

Answer by lostshel at 4:10 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• I wish we had a mock thing like that here. And I wish it was like Arkansas, but from what I understand Missouri is really strict on their guidelines, so chances are, if we did qualify, there would still be a hefty premium. It's terrible.
    Anonymous

• I live in Illinois...and my husband was only making $12 for 40 hr/week. I was working a 30 hr/week job for minimum wage and at that point we didn't qualify....in order for us to get it...when my 2nd son was born they were expecting us to pay $120 a month ....my husband had insurance so it would only be secondary so $120 was way too much.
    Momm2Princess

Answer by Momm2Princess at 5:10 PM on Jun. 8, 2009