Cold to Ear Infection?

My 14 week old daughter has had a bad cold for over a week now. She has it all in her head and can't breathe hardly. We took her to the dr of course they said its a cold, she will have to fight it off. Now its been almost 14 days total that she has had this and nothing they say to do is helping. We have: elevated her bed, used saline and suctioned her nose, stood in the shower with her, turned on the humidifier, given her 1/4 tsp of benadryl and now will give her 2.2mL per the Dr over the phone today. I don't know what else to do. I am so afraid its going to turn to an ear infection. She hasn't had a fever but she feels bad and daycare just said on the phone she is pretty fussy today. I'm going to get her early. What else can I do to make her feel better? I just don't know, I am at a loss. I really don't want her to have to take antibiotics so young!

HayleyGM

Asked by HayleyGM at 3:31 PM on Jun. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• sounds like your doing all you can do.has the doctor check for a sinus infection,i know every time my kids have had a bad cold that last more than a week it usely has turned into a sinus infection and that does mean antibiotics but when they been sick that long sometimes it is nessicary.
    kb24

Answer by kb24 at 3:37 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• its hard but there isn't much more you can do for her. just make her as comfy as possible and let her fight it off herself. as far as it turning into an ear infection, hopefully it won't but theres nothing you can do to prevent it. just continue what you are doing, make sure she gets enough fluids, and comfort her the best you can.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 3:39 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• I took my son to the doctor three days after he was born for a cold and they told me to do everything you are saying here. Six days later I took him back and said "there's got to be something you can do. he's not even two weeks old and miserable". Turned out he did have an ear infection and a sinus infection and they told me they were glad I was persistent or it could have gotten a lot worse!
    MommyKKay

Answer by MommyKKay at 3:52 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Babies can't have a sinus infection. Their sinuses aren't developed until much later in the toddler years.

If it's going to work into an ear infection, it's going to work into an ear infection. It's unfortunate, but some kids are prone to them. If she's been sick for two weeks and she's fussy, I'd take her in for another check. Better antibiotics to help her battle an infection than to leave it and she ruptures an eardrum!
    Anonymous

• You are doing everything you can do for her.... and while she may develop an ear infection it doesn't always mean you need to treat with an antibiotic, most that come after a cold don't require antibiotics.
    You didn't say if you were or not, but she could have Tylenol to make her more comfortable.. she probably is all achy
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 6:27 PM on Jun. 8, 2009