7 hour road trip alone with a 2 year old; PLEASE I need some advice

It's a struggle to drive 20 miles with her and DH so I am really worried about 7 hours with just the two of us (and then 7 hours back the next day) Plus, she's been in a terrible mood here lately.

Any advice? Am I crazy for even considering this?

texasgurl33

Asked by texasgurl33 at 3:32 PM on Jun. 8, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Every summer we drive the 22 hour drive to my father's home in Florida... ALWAYS plan ahead... Take fun music that she'll like to listen to, a pillow, and a blanket for comfort. We always pack a cooler too.... For juices and snacks. We pack everything from sandwhiches, to deviled eggs, which were wonderful, boiled eggs, chips, grapes, bananas.... You name it. Plenty of toys and fun kiddie books... I usually go to a dollar store and fill up on little cheap toys.... Mine is always happy to recieve a new toy, and tends to play with it longer then an older toy he's seen before... Good luck to you
    momma_marian

Answer by momma_marian at 3:39 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Why do you have to take such a huge trip and back in just 2 days?
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 3:34 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• lol no you're not crazy. my MIL bought my daughters a DVD player that attaches to the back of the driver or passenger's seat. we had to move from FL to GA and it was a 6 hour drive, it worked really well. i would also make frequent stops and take lots of snacks.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 3:34 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• leave early in the morning that way you can stop often before dark. if you don't have a portable dvd player and can afford one i strongly recommend them, my daughters has been a lifesaver on road trips. put a suitcase of toys next to her seat so she can reach them. if you do the dvd player put the movies and cds next to you so you can change them easily. go to the dollar store get some new cheap toys, books, coloring books etc..and when she starts to get grumpy distract her with a new toy. toys r us sells car seat trays that go over the seat great for eating, coloring and playing on. take a ball or bubbles with you stop for about 15-20 mins when you do stop and let her run around. for a 7 hour trip i would stop at least every other hour to let her run around, that way she gets rid of energy.
    or you could go the total opposite, if you can make the trip w/o stopping (for you to pee or get gas) than go at night right around CONT
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 3:36 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• bedtime so she will sleep through the trip
    vabchmommy

• I head out at bedtime...I leave for long trips at 9pm and drive at night...SHe sleeps the whole way and I get peace and quiet on the road(very few other drivers) No traffic ,no crying baby...I just recently took a 14 hour drive with my 2 year old and she slept 12 hours of it and watched dvd's for the rest....
    heather.darin

Answer by heather.darin at 3:40 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• I was also going to suggest leaving an hour or so before bedtime....but why do you have to take the trip the very next day back? Is this trip necessary?
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 3:40 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• if you can afford it get one of those portable kid tough dvd players that would be great. pack lots of fun snacks things you would never give her at home but not too sugary or she will want to run around oh and ofcourse dress her in a set of traveling chlotse old clothign so if her sippy spills or she smuges chocolate on herself shes nto ruining a brand new outfit . have hidden gems like a fav toy that she didnt know you braught along so that when she startes to crank pull that out it will sop the cranking for a while thats my best advice
    jajamama

Answer by jajamama at 3:44 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• OP HERE - Wow, you ladies are great; I'm feeling a little more courageous now!

Gramsmom, my dad is sick with cancer and has never met my daughter (his only grandchild). I just don't have the money for a hotel room for more than 1 night. I can't stay with him because he is stilll in a FEMA trailer and the area is devastated by hurricane ike.
    texasgurl33

Answer by texasgurl33 at 3:50 PM on Jun. 8, 2009