Have you ever been underweight for a pregnancy?

I am 17 weeks pregnant. I'm a thin person as it is, but it's been hard to put on some weight. I have been eating more but it seems like I can't gain the weight. Has anyone had trouble gaining weight or just don't start gaining weight until later in the pregnancy.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:01 PM on Jun. 8, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I wasn't under weight when I started but I didn't gain any weight until the last trimester. I ate healthy and worked out but I just gained any until the 3rd trimester. I'm 36 week and have only gained 6 pounds but my baby is growing and developing so that's what matters.

My best friend WAS under weight when she became pregnant. She weighed 104 and according to the BMI chart she should have been at 118 at the ABSOLUTE lowest. She just ate 5 meals a day and included healthy fats like avocado, olive oil, etc. a well as eggs and plenty of protien.

I would suggest going to www.blueribbonbaby.org and following the Brewer's Pregnancy Diet for a healthy pregnancy, baby and weight gain. GOOD LUCK!
    Anonymous

• I forgot to add that her babies were both VERY healthy. The first weighed 7 pounds 6 ounces and the second weighed 6 pounds 7 ounces. By eating healthy fats and good whole grain carbs she was able to gain 40 pounds with both pregnancies like the doctor recommended.

She then lost it all by just breastfeeding and was able to make plenty of milk for her babies by continuing the healthy fats and 5 meals a day diet.
    Anonymous