Do you let your children watch shows against your beliefs?

Such as charmed or veggie tales? If a show has obvious ties to a religion you do not practice do you let your children watch the show?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:04 PM on Jun. 8, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• yes. it is not up to us to decide their faith ...that is their decision and if ew close them off we are being close minded.

moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 4:04 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• What she said...
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:05 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• I totally decide what they watch. They are 3 and 5. Not old enough to be deciding their own faith. And also, I believe the devil can use things to persuade us away from the truth.

I also despise the lack of morals in todays tv, even the commercials are horrible.

i am the parent, I will raise my children how I see fit, they need direction and boundaries.

You have to stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.
    Anonymous

• Depends. We watch shows with Christian themes often, no skin off my nose.
    Right now they are too young to really get any religious concept except that they have a loving god and goddess watching over them. Thats all they really get or care about.
    As they grow they will find their own path(s).

If we like it then the boys have probably seen it.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 4:07 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• my thoughts exactly anon
    Anonymous

• We don't do tv at all here in this house. But movies such as Harry Potter (yes) GhostRider (yes) basically if we think he will like it and he want's to watch it that is fine...
    We don't have any type of real religious type of movies at all... we are allowing him to choose when his time comes he will pick his own path...
    Movies don't make or break a person's choice in their beliefs. (JMO)
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 4:08 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• I never censored for my child in anyway & that includes religion. My daughter still (at 16) thinks some of the veggie tales stuff is adorable & she likes charmed, even though she is an atheist. Those shows never effected her because I had been teaching her about different religions since she was a toddler.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 4:09 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• i do stand for something, i stand for equality...being open minded..experience the world and not limiting yourself. i stand for life, not abstinence from culture and society. and for that reason, she can watch charmed, veggie tales, a mormon show, a buddhist show, a catholic show, watch the ten commandments then watch charmed after that.

life is all about experiences and growing. when you limit that..you limit the person. and i will not raise my child to be close minded or limited
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 4:09 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• and the line about ohh the tv show corrupted my child.......ohh its the shows fault. if a tv show has the power to change your child that much, then you are being neglectful as a parent. i hate it when parents use tv or radio as a scapegoat .

a childs biggest influence is their father and mother.......if they have to go to tv for influence, then you are failing
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 4:10 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• When i was child there was a spin off show from Three's Company called three's a crowd. (I Think that was name) Supposedly it was the first prime time show to have a couple living together while not married. My mom flipped her lid. I mean went berzerk. The TV was grounded for nothing. She was convinced it was the devil's tube. *love my mom but come on* She came downstairs and said turn off that tv you are grounded for two weeks because i said so.

Of course we just turned the tv on when she wasn't around. One night I was sneaking downstairs and walked passed her bedroom. She had the VERY show she convinced would damn us to hell. From that moment on I watch what I want and most the time let my children watch what they want(little parental advisory still think I have to stand for something) We are a Christian family that goes to church. Watching a fictinal witch move something is not going to change that.
    Anonymous