reincarnation and the bible

I understand Christians beleive your soul goes to heaven or hell after death, but is there anything in the Bible that talks about reincarnation? I am Christian I believe we go to heaven or hell, but I started wondering about this.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:06 PM on Jun. 8, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Supposedly some books were removed or not included in the Bible that talked about Reincarnation. I don't know enough about it to say what they were.
    Anonymous

• I hear you anon. Funny you said that because I had a sentence that said the real bible not the books that were not added. LOL I deleted it because when we speak the bible it is the bible approved by the council and guided by the holy spirit. :-) thanks for your answer
    Anonymous

• There is a part that supposedly speaks about reincarnation, I think it was in Matthew but Id have to find it...bbiab.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 4:11 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• For the first few hundred years of Christianity, reincarnation was a widely accepted part of the religion. Early influential theologians wrote of it as an accepted belief. Some (St. Thomas I think was one), wrote that souls were reincarnated until they became god-like enough to be worthy of being in the presence of God. I don't know of any sects now that accept reincarnation, except perhaps Gnostic Christians.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 4:12 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Matthew 11:7-15(and Luke 1:17) Jesus discusses the matter of reincarnation with his disciples...in a way at least. He explains to them that Elijhai did come before him, as was required for the mesahai...but wasn't recognised as Elijah. The disciples realise he is talking about John the Baptist. In order for John the Baptist to be Elijah, he must have been reincarnated.

Here is a link to a website that talks more indepth.http://members.nuvox.net/~on.funraker/reincarnation.html

Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 4:13 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Interesting amaranth i will have to read that and look into more.
    Anonymous

• nysa00 - For the first few hundred years of Christianity, reincarnation was a widely accepted part of the religion.

Where do you get that idea?  A bit later in Christianity there was some discussion about There the pre-existance of souls in heaven before being born - which was condemned in at the Second Council of Constantinople in 553 CE. The Early Church fathers preached against reincarnation (See the article "Reincarnation")

eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 10:55 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Amaranth361 - Matthew 11:7-15(and Luke 1:17) Jesus discusses the matter of reincarnation with his disciples...in a way at least.

Actually the crowds in these verses believed Jesus was one of the ancient prophets raised from the dead. The verb "has arisen" indicates the people thought Jesus to have been a resurrected prophet, not a reincarnated one.  Remember we're looking at a Jewish culture here that did not believe in reincarnation - but they did believe that the soul survived after death and looked forward to the resurrection of the dead (not their reincarnation).

Plus how could the people have thought Jesus was a reincarnated John the Baptist if John had recently been executed (Matt.14:3-12) and John and Jesus had been contemporaries? John had been just six months older than Jesus (Luke 1:26); how could Jesus be the reincarnation of someone living?

eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 10:59 PM on Jun. 8, 2009