At what age did you begin giving your child an allowance and how much was is? How often did they get it?

My son is almost 5(octoberr) and I want to start giving him an allowance. DH and I think we will give him a dollar for each year, So $4 now then $5 when he turns five.

kamerynsmama

Asked by kamerynsmama at 4:08 PM on Jun. 8, 2009 in General Parenting

• My son does not get an allowance. He lives in the house and helps out as needed. He doesn't act up. Makes ok grades. And because of all this...he occasionally get treated for it. I buy things he wants here and there, he gets money to do things at school, gets to eat out here and there. So, in effect, he gets it that way instead of me just handed him a set amount of money each week.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:15 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• We've avoided allowance because we want the kids to do as they are told to keep up the house without always asking for money; also because what they will buy with their money is usually crap. We are waiting till they are older but if you have the five bucks, give it to him. See if he'll save it and maybe he can buy the big Star Wars Lego thing!
    Anonymous

• lol anon...I am so hating legos right now. I fell over his lego bucket ealier(even after trying to step over it) I am so clumbsy.

I do agree with wanting him to do things because it is the right thing to do, not doing it cause he will get money for it. Like I said we are thinking about it. We may decide to start out with only a couple dollars. I just want to know what other moms do to help us make a decison.
    kamerynsmama

Answer by kamerynsmama at 4:35 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• I have done financial counceling for many years (helping families manage their budgets), as well as being a mother of four and also a middle income. Even tho we knew we could afford to give an allowance I figured there must be some money principles taught.

1st, I wanted my children to learn that money is never just given (unless it is a gift.) Many children are handed money and there are no spending principles taught, like how to save, or learning the diff. between a need and a want, and also the act of giving. These were all important to our family.

We also did not believe that money should be earned for things like picking up socks, emptying trash cans, etc. These are things that should be shared by the entire family. Mom doesn't get paid to cook dinner, dad doesn't get paid to cut the grass, but they are good things done for the benefit of the entire family.

What we did do was to create a chore list for each..
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 5:41 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• child, according to their age level. Everyday that list needed to be checked off. Morning chores, before bedtime chores, etc. On these lists also included things like teaching them to be responsible for themselves like caring for their own room, making their bed, taking showers, brushing teeth, etc, but also folding towels, taking out the trash, picking up everyones shoes and putting them in their place, emptying the dishwasher, etc.

At the end of the week, if their chore list had been maintained well, they earned their allowance. If not, then either a portion would be given , or none at all. It was not a punishment, simply a priviledge to get an allowance. This manner taught my children that not only should they learn to care for themself, but also be an asset to the whole family. Each one has learned to be responsible, and also giving to each other. They are kind, helpful and thoughtful.

cont.....
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 5:45 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• contin...When they received their money, I also taught them that a certain amount should be put into a "long term" savings (either in a special wallet or container in their room, or in the bank.) for large and pricier items that they would like; a short term savings for things they want to do (go to the movies w/ friends, a new game for gameboy, a new piece of clothing or sunglasses, etc., & then a gift savings (for giving gifts to each other, grandparents, etc.)

These multiple savings, even for the 5 year old teaches them to wait and save for what they really want (which creates a lifelong EXCELLENT spending principle). It also created the idea that money does not drop from the skies, that it has to be worked for & earned (which is an excellent principle for teaching good work habits), and lastly the act of being a giving person and not self centered. I see so many spoiled children that have high expectations of parents.
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 5:51 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Tell your little guy that getting an allowance is a fun and exciting thing and that you will be glad to help him learn all about money and how to earn it and how to spend it. Money can be fun if you use it correctly.

But also remind him when you sit with him and discuss this, that at any time Daddy might not have the money, that you might have to forgo the allowance for awhile. This helps him understand that there truly are times when mama and daddy need to use the money for the whole family. This will teach him temperance. :) Have fun with your little guy.
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 5:54 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• My kids are almost 9 (in a couple weeks), 7 1/2, 6 1/2 and 3 and all of them have chores and none of them get allowance. I don't believe in it and we couldn't afford it if we did. They do their chores because it is part of being the family. Paying them just makes them expect something in return for doing a job that needs to be done for the house to run smoothly.
    I used to give them suckers for doing their chores quickly when they were little. Now my 9yo expects to get something in return for picking up her toys. If I tell he she isn't getting anything or it isn't what she wants (like she wants $5 and I say I'll give her $1) she flat out refuses to do it.
    When they ask about allowance I tell them I don't get paid to do my chores and neither do they, we just do them because we're part of the family.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:41 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• Our philosphy is a bit different. We don't get paid for cooking, doing laundry, shoveling snow, etc.; this is our home and we do what needs to be done. We do have jobs where we are paid a salary; when we do something really great, sometimes we get a bonus. So we pay for grades. For 8th grade: $20-A, $10-B, 0-C, -$10-D, -$20-F; $20 bonus for principal's scholar (based on GPA); $20 bonus for honor roll (based on letter grades). Half of all earnings (including gifts and babysitting money) goes to her savings account.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:35 AM on Jun. 9, 2009