5-6 year old milestone

should a 5-6 year old be able to go to the bathroom completely independently. should they be able to sleep alone and dress themselves?

etniesalpha

Asked by etniesalpha at 4:09 PM on Jun. 8, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Ummmmm, yeah.
    My son will be 6 in July.

He can potty alone, wipe etc. He has ALWAYS slept in his own bed and bedroom, no fuss or fight, he dresses himself and has since he was about 4.

I lay his cloths out on the couch, same place everytime. And I tell him to get dressed.

Children will live up to, or down to whatever expectations you have for them. If you think they CANT, then they wont. If you think they CAN then they probably will be able to.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 4:13 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• My 3yo can do those things.
    My kids have all slept alone since they were babies and all of them learned to dress themselves around 2 1/2-3 years old, although my now 6yo still needed help until she was 5 because she has issues with fine motor skills (she just learned to button her shirt at 6 and still can't do up her pants and FINALLY learned to zip up her coat).
    They all use the potty on their own, too. (they are 8, 7, 6 and 3)
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 5:02 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• ok I will help you not feel bad. I have a 5 yr old son. He is a happy and healthy child, but perfers me to do those things for him. UGGGH! I feel your pain.
    He sleeps fine in his room, but wants to watch TV in our bed with us at night, so we end up moving him after he's asleep. We end up toing this more nights out of the week than I would like.
    He can dress himself fine. But, I end up doing it to speed things up. So I guess my fault there.
    And as far as bathroom. He has been potty trained day and night since two. BUT, he won't wipe after #2. Thinks it's gross and calls for me to come do it. So, I made a deal, he has to do these by 6. ( which is the end of summer before school, haha)
    So good luck with starting to inforce the things that will prob. make your day easier in the long run. They can do it! Mine just "doesn't want to" ohhh he is spoiled too much, but we are working on it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:32 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• My son is 4 and he does these things. I do a "spot check" when he poops though, just to make sure he is clean. But he has always slept alone and he can get himself dressed. We are now working on tying shoes.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 3:10 PM on Jun. 9, 2009