Anyone have any experience with lymes disease?

I just pulled, what I am positive is a deer tick off of my 1 1/2 yr. old. I called the doctor and they said they don't really move forward until a bullseye mark shows up or a slight fever or such. I was just wondering if anyone has experienced this and what the time frame was for things to show up. I was able to get the tick off easily so it hadn't been there long. The last time he was outside was last night. They said it could take months for the symptoms to show up. Anyone know more than the receptionist?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:12 PM on Jun. 8, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Ticks can't transmit lymes disease or any bacteria unless they are on you for at least 24-48 hours. If the tick came off easily I'm guessing it hasn't been even close to that long, and you're saying he was outside last night so I'd bet you are fine. I've dealt with several ticks this season on my kids, my cat and me... I HATE them. My daughter was put on antibiotics one time so far for a tick bite, that is because of a few reasons, I screwed up getting the tick out and it broke apart and the Dr. had to dig the rest out with tweezers (she loved that), and we couldn't be 100% sure how long the tick was on her, so to be safe he put her on an antibiotic. Both DD and DS were each bit again, but we got them right away and they came right out. Now we are just WAY more careful about checking for ticks every day.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 4:21 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Good info here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lyme_disease
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 4:22 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Also, you can call the Center for Disease Control (CDC). They will gladly talk to you about it. Lyme Disease is a big deal. My sister was the 3rd recorded case in GA. She was quite sick. My mom got is many years ago (prob. from a mission trip to mexico) and wasn't even aware that she had had a tick. She had the bulls eye rash and the doctor wouldn't even treat her for LD. I had to call the CDC and they overnited me the info to give to the doc. He was insulted. My mom suffered so much with it and does to this day.

BUT, don't borrow trouble. Ticks are common. Ticks get it from rats and the ticks are carried by deer. I have a scout right now living for a week in the woods. :( I worry all about it, but then again I warn him that he must always keep a good bug spray on. He won't. lol
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 8:39 PM on Jun. 8, 2009