What exactly is the Boys & Girls Club?

I'm wondering exactly what the club does. I know they offer a lot of classes and activities, but do you sign up for them individually or do you just get a membership and go to whichever activity you choose? Also, I've always been under the impression that B&G club was geared for disadvantaged youth. Is this correct or is it for everyone?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:18 PM on Jun. 8, 2009 in General Parenting

• The Boys and Girls clubs are located in inner cities, and serve as a community center for disadvantaged and "at risk" youths. They offer both structured and informal group and individual activities, and provide a safe environment.

The staff is mostly comprised of counselors, the majority of whom develop mentoring relationships with the youths (like Big Brother Big Sister) and assist them with whatever issues they are facing from divorced/single parent households, finishing their education and looking to the future, to staying away from drugs and gangs, to offering positive social interactions.

I worked at a B&G club in Boston after graduating from college, and also at a residential summer camp with the same focus.

The costs range from free ("scholarships") to group discounted rates (for special events/activities) depending on parental income. Much of the operating budget is provided by the state and federal government.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 4:32 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• my grandson goes and he is not disadvantaged

Answer by admckenzie at 5:25 PM on Jun. 8, 2009