Help with imagination on toy fire engine!

My DS loves his fire engine so much.. And I really want to accompany him playing with it by playing imagination.
But I really don't know where to start or what to say. His fire engine is quite complete, it has phone sound, ignition sound, ladder, and all the equipment that should exist in the real ones.
Moms please help me with this imagination here and how to say it in sentence that he could understand.
Starting from someone calling to getting the job done.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:26 PM on Jun. 8, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• If nothing comes to mind ask him questions about what he's doing and who he is.

Wow, that's a cool fire engine. Are you the fire chief? What do I have to do to be a fireman too? Do you have a firehouse dog? What's his name? Ooh, the phone is ringing - "Hello? There's a fire? Where's the fire? Ok, we'll be right there!" Hey fire chief, there's a fire at the ice cream shop. We need to go put it out before the ice cream melts...
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 4:33 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• What? No one can tell you how to imagine. You really dont know how? Is this for real?
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 4:27 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• r

Well I not that kind of person who sits down with their kid playing. And I'm a very quite person.
    I'm not really good with kids. So the point is, I don't know what to say to him in parental sentence. So they feel it's funny and laugh.
    Anonymous

• Just act excited and let the child lead. Ask him what he's doing. Ask him if you can help or how you can help. Ask him what do we need to do next. If you don't have anything to suggest, just ask questions - that way he is thinking up the answers and guiding the play.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 4:40 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Oh, and compliment him on his ideas. "Wow, I didn't know we had to do that! It's a good thing you're the fire chief!" "Boy, you sure do know a lot about fire engines." He'll be glad to lead and glad that you are taking an interest. He'll be proud to show you how it's done.

It's ok if it doesn't come naturally to you. You're doing well to realize that he needs you to be involved with him. It doesn't matter if you are funny - just that you are there and paying attention.

Good luck & have fun!
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 4:45 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Thank you so much for your answer. It really gives me a hint.
    I'll try to do what u suggest me to do. I hope he gives me a good response after that. And not just a simple smile like saying, yeah u've tried mom!
    Anonymous

• Take an old paper bag and draw a picture of a house on it - assuming you don't have a doll house of some type around.
    Then pretend to pick up the phone and pretend to dial 911. Then pretend you are talking to the operator and tell her about the fire. NOTE - this is a chance to help teach him when and how to call 911 for real. Sneaky education like this is the best type for preschoolers.
    Then pretend to be the 911 operator telling the fire department to go to the fire - change your voice a little so it's obvious you are a "different' person.
    Have your son take over from there as the fire captain coming to save the house. If you have any little dolls or stuffed animals, you can put them in the bag so the fireman has someone to save.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:58 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• we do "911. whats your emergency?" with my son. he has a lot of fire engines and ambulances since daddy is a volunteer fireman and emt. we go and rescue kitty's from trees and help people with broken legs. have fun..and good luck
    RhiannonHunt

Answer by RhiannonHunt at 4:59 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• LOL - I cheat. I have a book for my son called "Fred the Firefighter" and we act out the scenes. My line is generally "House on fire on Randolph Avenue. People may be inside." From there, my son tends to take over the story. I would suggest you go to the Library and check out some firefighter kids books and let those help you figure out some things to say or ways to get the story going so he can take over and be the firefighter.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 7:11 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• I can't thank u more, moms! It works! I'm still practicing..but it works! Thank u! Thank u! Thank u!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:12 AM on Jun. 10, 2009