Ideas for baby shower gift that looks like a lot but doesnt cost a lot.

I am going to baby shower for a cousin who's friends all have a lot of money and my family lives on a budget. I know the cost of my gift doesnt matter -its the thought that counts but I would like some ideas to make what I buy look like more. Thanks for the help!

MomTo2Girls0302

Asked by MomTo2Girls0302 at 4:29 PM on Jun. 8, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Look for sales. Go to dollar store. Buy packs of like washclothes, ect open them up, buy a basket and place the items in the basket. Say you get 10 items and a basket all at a dollar store, it could look like a huge basket. Put tissue paper in the bottem of basket as a filler?!?! Good luck!
    Ambie0526

Answer by Ambie0526 at 4:33 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• My aunt bought me a diaper bag, that was pretty simple and stuffed it.. duno how much you plan on spending but you can go to different stores and get teething toys pacis and all types of things for 1 and two dollars a piece, or just stuff it with wipes and powder type deals. Target and Walmart have a few premade baskets that have bathtime things in them for different prices..like 14-30 and i put one of those on my registry! just depends on how much your budgeting!!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 4:35 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Here's what I have done and it's always been a big hit...get a laundry basket ,a bottle of dreft, baby wash, lotion, wipes...these will be the most expensive items.
    Then hit resale shops (often times have brand new still in pkg lil items-ie.socks, washclothes, bonnets, next garage sales and flea markets again search for the new items(look hard they are there) then bargain for it, finally top off with teethers and bottles from dollar store,Big Lots (nice name brand toys too), or Dollar General.
    Nicely arrange all items in the basket...it may not e the cutesy outfits, but very appreciated once baby arrives!
    KaylasMiracle

Answer by KaylasMiracle at 4:47 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• I have found that people get a TON of newborn stuff for a baby shower. I think it is nice to give a couple of classy items that can be kept. Maybe a First Christmas stocking or ornament. A nice picture frame (I found a beautiful sandstone Mother/Child frame), A silver mother/child pendant, a pregnancy massage, Baby and Me Yoga DVD.

You can buy one nice item then go to a discount department store for other stuff. TJMaxx Marshalls, Ross. And remember, it is the thought that counts. Don't feel pressured to give a gift that has equivalent cost to what others are giving. I have gotten gifts that meant a lot to me because I KNOW the gift giver did not have a lot of money and put special thought into getting something. Your cousin will be happy with any gift you select with your heart..... and not your wallet. =)
    Niki_sd

Answer by Niki_sd at 5:10 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• If you sew, you can make simple blankets that are way more prcactical than the store bought ones. Someone gave me some for my twins that have flanel on one side and satiny material on the other side. They are bigger and more durable than receiving blankets, and no one else has blankets just like theirs. They were folded up really cute with matching ribbon and a hand printed washing instruction tag. Someone else gave us fancy blankets that cost $45 each, and we never used them at all!

The laundry basket & Draft idea is also very nice and practical. You could do that and include baby clothes hangers.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 5:29 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• you could set up a food tree. have others sign up to bring dinner after the baby is born. someone did this for me and i will never forget it!!
    bettylou420

Answer by bettylou420 at 5:53 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Thanks for all the help!!!!
    MomTo2Girls0302

Answer by MomTo2Girls0302 at 9:03 AM on Jun. 10, 2009