How do you deal with a difficult teen who doesn't respect his 1 year old brother's schedule?

My significant other has a 15 year old boy (not biologically related to me) who has not respected the baby's schedule (sleeping, eating, etc.) since the day he came home from the hospital. For 14 years he was an only child who got everything he wanted and was spoiled. His father won't stand up to him and I am not his mom so he won't listen to me even if I am the politest person and ask nicely. He is so centered in his own life that nobody else matters. Everything has to be the way he wants it when he wants it. Does anyone have any idea on how to get him to respect that there are other people living in the house and it isn't all about him all the time? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Everaftergirl

Asked by Everaftergirl at 4:30 PM on Jun. 8, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• What you as the adult have to remember is that he didn't ask for a baby brother, he was content as an only child for 14 years, if you say "No, you can't do such and such because the baby is sleepinig" or "no your friends can't come over cause ???" he is going to resent that. He is 15, they resent everything at this age, that is thier "role" in life.

I have learned that I have to not use the little ones as an excuse as to why they can't do something. But it took me a while to learn that. They were accustomed to a certian way of life and now this new little person I choose to have is messing with thier lives. I do think that he has to learn to compromise but that goes both ways.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 5:23 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Mama he is a teenager. The first poster is correct. He will resent you if you keep up with the "because of the baby" You both will have to compromise. Remember he is your DH's son. You sound like you resent him. Would you want a step father treating your new little one the same way when they are 15? Think about the other side of the coin. With teenagers nit picking does not work. Pick your battles wisely. Don't make everything a fight.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:01 AM on Jun. 9, 2009

• Are these two siblings? How do they interact with each other?

Answer by rkoloms at 3:26 PM on Jun. 12, 2009