How to get the most back from our deposit when we move ?

We own a carpet shampooer thing so I think the carpet will be good, we have lawn chairs out on the deck and during a storm one hit the screen door and ripped the screen and hubby said he could fix that easily but we now can't afford to fix it ourselves due to us having to save up a deposit for our new house so that's going to be taken out of the apartment deposit. DD colored in 2 spots with crayon and a magic easer didn't work that great it took off the paint so it looks terrible and we can't afford to buy paint to re paint those areas. We are able to putty all the holes in the walls ourselves thankfully ........... Oh the blinds in the living room are ruined because of our old cat which we got rid of after we moved in since she really started tearing things up, the blinds in DD are bent since she would try and look through them so those need to be replaced and we can't afford to .......... I hope we can alteast get half back

baby1love

Asked by baby1love at 4:35 PM on Jun. 8, 2009 in Home & Garden

• When i moved out of my place it was clean with no damage i forgot a ten gallon fish tank on the back porch and a broken down crib..both items wouldve fit in my car, the witch charged me 60 to haul it away...i thought that was steep. the people on base where my mom works only charge 25 per TRUCK LOAD!!! but ne who...

If you cant fix all of whats wrong and its all pretty noticeable..getting some back at all would be luck, they have 30 days to return the money and if you dont get any back ask them for a letter explaining all the costs and why. If you get back less than you thought id ask for the same that way you can see where your money went! Blinds are cheep, esp if its an apartment complex.
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 4:40 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Yes it's a OLD apartment complex PLUS it wasn't in the best of shape when we moved in thier was damages here and there they didn't fix BEFORE we moved in that we told them about but they still never fixed them .
    baby1love

Answer by baby1love at 5:02 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• How long have you lived in this apartment? I ask, because if it's been 3+ years, MANY of the damages you mentioned MIGHT already be slated for sprucing up by the management before the next tenant moves in!

Things like carpets, mini blinds, and paint, are USUALLY replaced after a certain number of years, so you might be off the hook--except for the screen--at least in a well managed apartment community.

When I left my apartment and moved to my now husband's condo, I accidentally splashed the contents of a bucket of bleach solution on the carpet (on my way to the bathroom), and I was all stressed out at the thought of having to pay for new carpet. I told management about it, and they said since the carpet was 7 years old (I had lived there for 2 1/2 years), it was slated for replacement! So I got my full deposit back!

I would also OFFER to make the repairs (if they won't) and see if they'll pay for the supplies?
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:34 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• We have only lived here just over 3 years .
    THat's is a great suggestion about making the repairs ourselves if they pay for the supplies ! the worst they can say is no right ?!
    baby1love

Answer by baby1love at 5:50 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• OH and the carpet was old when we got in here ......not sure about the paint and the blinds though.
    baby1love

• btw usually apt complexs keep extra paint becuase they order it in bulk. so they might have some laying around for those spots you were talking about..and baby1love was right, carpet usually gets chalked up to normal wear and tear and if it wasnt in AWESOME condition when you moved in i wouldnt stress so hard..i know you want your money back tho!!!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 9:56 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• if you only need to cover a smaller spot of paint. (and the wall is white) go get a small 50 cent bottle of craft paint. lol. It works. u may have to wait for layer one to dry before putting on a second coat. but ive done it in an emergency. (ok ok, i was really just to lazy to drive out and get more to finish the trim, lol) but it worked!
    Mesha125

Answer by Mesha125 at 5:14 PM on Jun. 10, 2009