my daughter!!!!!!!!!!

my daugher has been acting up and im alone in my parenting life i wana know if its normal i wana understand her and i want her to understand me even tho she is really not old to understand i wana know if thers anything i could do to make it better for us......

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:36 PM on Jun. 8, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• It is normal though at 3 or 4, she is more than capable of understanding anything you tell her. She may not believe you (where do babies come from) and will not process the information the same way that you or I do (why you should always use the potty) but you can explain just about anything.

For discipline, consistency is the key. I read the book "1,2,3 Magic" and really liked it. The approach is simple. While getting naughty behaviour under control is the main point of the book, the authors point out that praise and attention are the best ways to prevent naughty behavior in the future and they give good advice for balancing the two.

kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:46 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• well I'm not sure what your parenting style is. What has always worked best for my daughters is consistency. Make sure you follow through on what you say, or else she won't take you seriously. I do timeouts for my girls (who are three). I also ground them from certain things too. (i.e.. watching tv, fruit snacks, etc). Its always worked well for them. and try to stay calm. when she starts getting upset and yelling. (trust me somedays that easier said than done). If you keep your voice calm and speak in a lower tone she'll want to quiet down to hear what you're saying. I hope this helps you.
    Anonymous

• Honey, I don't want to scare you, but my 8 year old just went through a crying (both of us) and arguing session not 30 mins ago...I think girls sometimes have a harder time dealing with things we (as we get older) learn to take in stride. I wish you luck as I know how trying these things can be.
    rune2319

Answer by rune2319 at 8:00 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• If she throws a tantrum just walk away. When she is calmed down bring her into your lap and tell her that you still love her and ask whats wrong? What made you so upset? Sometimes its something as simple as the syrup touched their apple. Constistency is key too. And don't back down because your not getting the child to behave in three days, sometimes it takes a month to correct naughty behavior. I like watching Super Nanny for advice.
    Glickstein

Answer by Glickstein at 8:01 PM on Jun. 8, 2009