How often did you get blood taken while pregnant?

I'm 18 weeks pregnant and have had three blood draws so far, the first took 5 vials, the second took one and the third took two. I really wish my doctor would tell me more about what i'm getting tested for, I had to walk-in to the office today and request paperwork to get bloodwork done because he had forgotten to give it to me last time and i knew i was due for bloodwork. anyways, original question.

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 4:58 PM on Jun. 8, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Some states or counties will test for drugs routinely if you live in a high risk area. They did it to me before and I was like do I look like a druggie?! Also if you are on state insurance some states require it too. I think I had mine taken about 4 times the whole pregnancy. But make sure to ask your Dr abou tit. He by law has to tell you, and if he doesnt request your records from him and it will be on there. Good luck.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 5:23 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• I had to get mine taken EVERY time i saw my doc because i had a platelett problem. next time you go..ASK my doc was good at telling me and if he didnt explain it well i just asked the lady taking it..she was pretty good at telling me what they were looking for..if you have the book What to Expect when Your Expecting, it tells you about the dates youll get tested and what for!!! G'luck hun...dont be afraid to ask!!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 5:04 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• hey i totally have that book i'll check. i was looking over the lab paper i had to give to the tech and it said "drug test" on it and "toxoplasma" i was like, what the hell are they giving me a drug test for?!
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 5:06 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• i am 36 weeks, had blood taken bout 3-4 times, lost count. i dont know really stress it cause i want any and all tests done in order to make sure baby is ok. but it always sucks.
    babymomma4

Answer by babymomma4 at 5:06 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• I can only remember getting blood drawn once..at my first appt....
    carliemarie1015

Answer by carliemarie1015 at 5:45 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• with my first i went to an ob where they drew blood every time i was there. with the others i had a midwife. they took blood 3 or 4 times per pregnancy.

this is one reason i felt like a number with the ob and a real person with the midwives.

bettylou420

Answer by bettylou420 at 5:45 PM on Jun. 8, 2009