How do you relax when your child is about to have a 5 hour surgery?

My little girl was born with a cleft lip and palate. They will attempt to close her palate again Wednesday. Last time it took 5 hours! They are doing the same thing this time plus dental work and ear tubes. I don't know how I will just sit there at least 5 hours while she's in surgery. I hate being away from her 5 minutes while at home and she's fine. What could i do to relax I'm getting so nervous!

HannahLee87

Asked by HannahLee87 at 5:21 PM on Jun. 8, 2009 in Health

• Nervousness is normal under the circumstances, I would bring a good book, a latte and notebook to record my thoughts as she is in surgery, one day you may even share your tougts and fears with her. Everybody is different but try to do something for her like putting a book of her favorite pictures, I mean something that you can give her when she wakes up from recovery.

I know nothing will take the anxiety ot of you but maybe if you focus on something for her, it may help.

Best luck and I'll send a wish or two your way that everything works out for your little one. Hang in there mama, you can do it, keep it together, do it for her, she needs you calm and collect. If she senses your anxiety she will be anxious too, so relax, breath and know that you can do this, grab strength from your inner mom's super powers, take a deep breath and think positive thoughts.
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 5:28 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Just be calm and don't let her see your fear, cause then she will be upset. My friend's kid was born with an extra digit and a cist on her forehead and had double surgery to remove them....it is nerve wrecking, but just be positive. Everything will be okay, these surgeries are done countless times a day! Bring a book or your laptop. Keep yourself busy and the time will FLY by!
    wyattsmommy626

Answer by wyattsmommy626 at 5:31 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• As difficult as it is, keep an upbeat attitude in her presence. Best of luck to her for a successful surgery and quick recovery.

Walk around outside, get something to eat in the hospital cafeteria. Text or call friends and family and talk. The thing is to pass the time. Read if you can. Work puzzles. Watch the waiting room TV, doesn't really matter what is on. If you are a religious person, go to the chapel and spend some time there. If you find yourself losing your calm, get it back by watching your breathing. Slow your heartbeat down, breathe in slowly, breathe out slowly. Good luck.

Answer by Bmat at 5:49 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• I forgot to add, think about how well she will be when this is all over. Visualize you and your little one having happy times, playing, running, reading together, singing together, making cookies. Think about her learning to speak, to walk, to read. Think about a happy future.

Answer by Bmat at 5:51 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• I don't know how you can, I would be the same way. Just pray that everything turns out okay. I hope everything goes well with the surgery.
    LuvmyFam6

Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 6:11 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• Thank all of you so much! I'm trying my hardest to be strong for her. She's 4 years old and she's a trooper. I'm adopting her and it breaks my heart to know this is stuff she should have had done when she was a baby, but she's getting all the help, love, and care she needs now. I think I'll bring my sudoku puzzle book and my computer to keep my mind off and put on my best face for her. You'd think since we've been through this before it would be easier; I'm more prepared and know what's coming, but by no means is it easier. So again thank you guys so much for you advice and input.
    HannahLee87

Answer by HannahLee87 at 7:38 PM on Jun. 8, 2009